Sr. Software Engineer, Tools & Performance
San Francisco /
Buoyant develops open source software to enable world-class reliability, security, and visibility. We are looking for software engineers to help ensure our software is reliable in the highest-scale production environments.
As a software engineer, you will work with Linkerd, the world's most widely deployed production service mesh, developing systems to ensure performance and correctness. As an open source community member, you will build tooling to empower the Linkerd community to validate their own work. Open source infrastructure software development involves many challenges. You will be a critical leader in managing multiple simultaneous PRs without exposing bugs to the latest release, creating dashboards and performance metrics for observability, and authoring documents to guide developers as they contribute to the project.
You’ll work with our incredible, product-focused team in a supportive and friendly environment. Our ideal candidate has a strong engineering background, great communication skills, and a weird but adorable love of software infrastructure.
- Develop automation to validate Linkerd's performance and correctness across multiple dimensions, including load, protocol, resource constraints, and git commits
- Develop high-scale reliable test tooling and environments, drawing from experience working on production systems
- Identify and report reliability results (tracked over time), advocate for design and code changes, and then implement them
- Maintain production services deployed on Kubernetes
- Proactively fix bugs using perf, ss, and strace
- Solve problems with CI/CD tools, Linux systems, & networking
- Familiarity with Linkerd, gRPC, Kubernetes, Docker, Prometheus, Grafana, and Bash a plus
- Develop public-facing tools to enable the Linkerd developer community to evaluate the performance and correctness of their own changes
- Develop open source integration test environments, similar to those found in (https://github.com/linkerd/linkerd-examples/tree/master/lifecycle)
- Build reference designs to demonstrate distributed systems best practices, similar to those found in (https://github.com/linkerd/linkerd-examples)
You can work as part of a team
- Low-ego, collaborative, and results-oriented
- Give and receive constructive feedback
- Learn from and mentor teammates
- Work closely with users to understand their pain points
- Support our open source users and developers on https://slack.linkerd.io
- You have a portfolio of personal projects, github repo, or technology blog
- You use and love open source software
- You value an inclusive and diverse workplace
- You are passionate, empathetic, and kind
We’re not just building a product, we’re building a company! Come join us and build the next generation of infrastructure software at a company that we can be proud of.
US employment: We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas.