News Writer, Inverse
Editorial – Inverse
Inverse is looking for part-time news writers with an interest in one or more of the following: artificial intelligence, renewable energy, aerospace, the future of transportation, cities, money, and society.
You should have demonstrable professional daily writing experience (it’s OK if you’re just getting started or have written for smaller publications), a clear understanding of the 24/7 news cycle, and a ridiculous amount of excitement and energy. You should love going after a story or sharing something with an audience. You should be comfortable with a high volume and lots of incoming ideas/requests on a busy day. You should be comprehensively familiar with the way news travels on the web and social networks both as a consumer and as a creator.
The ideal candidate doesn’t need to have a ton of experience (though it definitely helps), but should most certainly have a knack for zeroing in on the heart of a story and strong opinions and knowledge about their chosen subjects. This person must be able to source and create multiple pieces a day, work in a fast-paced digital newsroom, and deliver clean, accurate copy. The ideal candidate is capable of writing intelligently with a voice and point of view that honors the reader’s intellect.
Do you have a high metabolism for news? A fascination with the way things work? A sense of humor and a critical eye? If you’ve got these qualities and you also happen to be a knockout writer, we’d love to talk to you.
Please note: this is an hourly, remote role. To apply, send 5 recent/relevant clips and your resume. A brief cover letter is preferred.
- Work shifts based around the news and file stories as assigned by your editor or based on successful pitches to your editor
- Put news of the moment into a larger context. You’ll be asked to find meaning and make connections for the reader.
- Collaborate on larger projects like franchises and series that act as tentpoles for Inverse’s future-focused innovation coverage
- Own a few beats for Inverse around your talents, experience, and interests
- Hit deadlines and demonstrate growth based on constructive feedback
- 1-2 years of relevant journalism experience
- Ability to work shifts as required by a sometimes off-hours news cycle (late Tesla events, rocket launches, earnings calls, etc.)
- A record of enterprise reporting (please include a few examples in your clips)
- Familiarity with SEO best practices
- The start of a Rolodex -- OK, not a literal Rolodex -- of sources.
Inverse is a future-focused publication that crosses the spectrum of science and art, dedicated to substantial reporting and serious writing -- with occasional irreverence. We write about science, entertainment, and innovation with an authoritative, insightful voice that slices through the hype.
Bustle Digital Group (BDG) is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 82 million readers turn to our brands - Bustle, Elite Daily, Flavorpill Media, Inverse, Mic, NYLON, Romper, The Outline, and The Zoe Report – to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City, with offices in Chicago, Los Angeles, and London