Tech and Sustainability Editor, Mic
New York, NY
Editorial – Mic
Mic is looking for an experienced tech and sustainability editor to lead its innovation vertical, which confronts how technology, social media, and climate change impact the way young people live, connect, and communicate. The conversation is rooted in current events but also takes a long view to highlight the ideas that will impact how we live in the future, exploring meaningful connections at the intersection of technology and culture.
For the generation we’re speaking to, the future has never been certain, whether due to excessive and crippling student loans, recessions, political unrest, or the fact that we truly don’t know what the world’s landscape will look like in the coming decades. Mic’s Innovation vertical takes a 360-degree view of climate change, examining how we address it in our daily lives, in the way we’re governed, and the way we build the world around us. At a point where we truly cannot ignore the impact of climate change, Mic aims to address it head-on, elevating our collective awareness of the climate crisis and helping readers understand our rapidly evolving planet and underscoring their personal responsibility.
The ideal candidate is a sharp, curious editor who is passionate about finding creative and offbeat approaches to covering tech, social media, and sustainability and adept at making meaningful connections at the intersection of technology, sustainability, culture, and politics.
Mic’s tech and sustainability editor will be responsible for managing the day-to-day editing of news and features and working with writers and reporters to identify sharp angles and produce smart, engaging stories with original reporting. You should also be eager to write yourself, and act as a player/coach to the rest of the team.
Experience editing and commissioning deeply reported investigations that break news a plus.
- Edit quickly and accurately under tight deadlines
- Work with writers and reporters to identify unique angles and produce smart, engaging stories.
- Develop original series and franchises related to tech, science, and sustainability
- Build a network of respected sources and writers
- 5-8 years of experience in writing, editing, or reporting
- Experience with both reported work and service journalism
- Ability to provide productive feedback in a fast-paced setting
- Skilled at assigning stories with a unique angle on the biggest news of the day
- Creative, independent, and outside-the-box thinking
- An understanding of how technology and sustainability can touch on Mic’s other areas of coverage, including politics, identity, and culture
- A passion for/expertise in sustainability/environment a plus
Mic helps young people process the present. In a crowded news landscape, Mic amplifies the issues that really matter -- from politics and culture to social justice and social media -- and examines the impact the news has on people's diverse lives. We aim to elevate the voices of the underrepresented with authentic storytelling from the people closest to the subject, original reporting on the issues young people currently care most about, and thoughtful content that fuels curiosity, creativity, and most importantly, action.
Bustle Digital Group (BDG) is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 82 million readers turn to our brands — Bustle, Elite Daily, Flavorpill Media, Inverse, Mic, NYLON, Romper, The Outline, Input and The Zoe Report — to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City, with offices in Chicago, Los Angeles, and London.