Mind & Body Editor, Inverse
New York, NY
Editorial – Inverse
Inverse is seeking an Editor to edit its growing Mind & Body coverage. For the past year, we’ve been increasing our reporting on the latest in nutrition, psychology, drugs, sleep, sex, exercise, and mental health and seen how well this coverage resonates with our audience. We’re ready for an editor to lead several writers to entertain and inform our audience of millennial-aged, truth-seeking readers.
Look, there’s a lot of junk on the internet in this area. Which is why we interview academics and researchers to help our readers cut through the BS that expands around wellness topics like a marshmallow in the microwave. There aren’t a lot of easy answers to the big questions about our minds or bodies. Our reporting acknowledges that and hopefully helps people understand those trends from the inside.
The ideal candidate is attracted to intermittent fasting, ketosis, and other buzzy nutrition ideas, aiming to fully explore each, sometimes giving them the benefit of the doubt in the pursuit of the full story and the truth that lies somewhere in there. Our ultimate goal is to give readers good info without condescension or judgment.
This Mind & Body Editor reports to the Science Editor and manages a roster of writers. The Mind & Body Editor is expected to write a few shorter stories a week and one short feature story a month.
To apply, send 5 recent/relevant clips and your resume. A brief cover letter is preferred.
- Develop topic coverage strategies in high-interest areas
- Elevate trending topics and stories into enterprise feature stories and franchises
- Ensure Inverse’s commitment to skeptical, facts-based reporting
- Fully explore trending health topics, especially nebulous ones, to offer definitive information to curious readers
- Develop 1 feature story a month with writers
- Execute on the vision for the section laid out by the senior science editor and executive editor
- Edit daily stories from several staff writers
- At least five years of health or science-focused journalism experience. Editing preferred.
- Familiarity with SEO best practices
- Familiarity with the academic study release cycle (EurekAlert!, PNAS, PLOS, etc.)
- Must be a voracious, enthusiastic consumer of health and wellness media and culture
Inverse is a future-focused publication that crosses the spectrum of science and art, dedicated to substantial reporting and serious writing -- with occasional irreverence. We write about science, entertainment, and innovation with an authoritative, insightful voice that slices through the hype.
Bustle Digital Group (BDG) is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 82 million readers turn to our brands - Bustle, Elite Daily, Flavorpill Media, Gawker, Mic, NYLON, Romper, The Outline, and The Zoe Report – to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City, with offices in Chicago, Los Angeles, and London