Features Editor, Romper
Editorial – Romper /
Romper is looking for a Features Editor to be a strategic and creative lead for the site’s longform content. The Features Editor will work closely with the Editorial Director to help build the site’s authority as the primary destination for nuanced, thought-provoking, and entertaining essays, op-eds, and reported pieces that explore the experience of being a parent.
The Features Editor will be responsible for assigning, editing, and writing articles that elevate the conversation around raising children through strong writing, thoughtful angles, and an instinct for the things that delight, torment, and puzzle parents and the baby-curious alike.
The ideal candidate will be well-versed in parenting culture — from the conflicted emotions around “Baby Shark” to the way parents are navigating the political and economic rollercoaster of 2020 — and be as comfortable coordinating celebrity interviews and securing exclusives as reaching out to influencers and writers to commission columns, personal essays, and op-eds. A dedication to service, humor, and inclusivity is key for this role, along with a solid network of freelancers from a diverse array of backgrounds.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and link to relevant writing and editing samples.
We would prefer a candidate based in the tri-state area, however, are open to accepting qualified remote candidates.
- Work closely with the Editorial Director and Managing Editor to further develop the brand’s content strategy, using analytics tools to monitor performance and adjust priorities as needed
- Collaborate closely with the lifestyle and entertainment teams to ensure the brand’s coverage of trending and timely topics is fresh, thoughtful, and informed
- Be reactive to the day’s parenting news and brainstorm creative second-hour or second-day angles, while also thinking about the stories that aren’t being told and how to bring new voices—and topics—to the site
- Work with freelance contributors on stories to ensure Romper content is inclusive, engaging, and nuanced
- Produce an average of between 3 and 10 stories per week
- 5+ years editing and writing experience in (ideally) digital media, with a proven interest in parenting topics
- Proven track record of producing articles that move the conversation
- Deep understanding of best practices for search and social
- Ability to write and edit quickly without compromising brand integrity, voice, or mission
- Strong display-writing and story-packaging skills
- Comfortable networking and attending events on behalf of the brand
- A sense of fun, urgency, and a commitment to being part of a tight-knit team
- This role reports to the Editorial Director
Bustle Digital Group (BDG) is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 82 million readers turn to our brands — Bustle, Elite Daily, Inverse, Mic, NYLON, W, Romper, Input, and The Zoe Report — to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City.