Deputy News Editor, Bustle
New York, NY
Editorial - Bustle
Bustle is seeking a driven Deputy News Editor to manage the day-to-day operations of Bustle's politics and news vertical. The ideal candidate should have a passion for politics and an insatiable desire to make Bustle the destination for millennial women who are curious about current events. The ideal candidate has a natural sense of urgency, strong news judgment, polished editing skills, a passion for developing young talent, a relentless drive to win, and a sense of fun.
Candidates will be responsible for leading a team of full-time editors and journalists to produce news articles that distinguish Bustle under the direction of the Executive News Editor. Candidates should be well-versed in search and social traffic strategies, be comfortable incorporating photos, videos, tweets, and memes naturally into news stories, and have a knack for pushing news stories forward with original reporting.
A positive attitude, a collaborative spirit, and a deep understanding of Bustle's voice and mission are musts. Candidates should be experienced journalists and leaders who can create smart, engaging stories, and have a great network of go-to sources and industry experts.
- 5+ years’ experience in national news, current events, and/or politics coverage
- Deep knowledge of US politics, policy, and Washington news
- Ability to spot unique angles on the top stories of the day
- Firm understanding of how to report a story, and how to assign and select stories relevant to Bustle's readership
- Strong background in journalism (libel, fact-checking, reporting, and more)
- Ability to analyze and explain complex issues in a way that resonates with Bustle's audience
- Demonstrated strong editorial leadership in breaking news situations
- Eye for and interest in cultivating a diverse network of voices who can deliver thought-provoking work across a range of topics as they relate to race, gender, culture, intersectional feminism, women's health, and politics
- Strong record of reporting, writing, editing
- Comfortable incorporating multimedia naturally into news stories
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications, media, etc.
- Media appearances (TV and/or radio) are encouraged, but not a must
Bustle is the largest independent media property for Millennial women, reaching 50 million unique readers a month. Bustle delivers everything readers want to know, see, and read right now — spanning news, celebrity, culture, lifestyle, politics, fashion & beauty, and more. What we have in common with each other and our readers is that we're insatiably curious about the world. We care about what's working and what isn't about fashion, politics, technology, diversity, books, celebrities, health, beauty, work, sex, friendship, and how to make amazing food on a budget. These are the stories we deliver every day in a format that's always getting better, quicker, and more engaging.