Culture Editor, Mic
Editorial – Mic /
Mic is seeking a Culture Editor to lead its music, movies, books, style, online culture, and television coverage. Mic’s culture vertical takes a fluid approach to how we define culture, unpacking everything from the TikTok trends illuminating how we live to the historical context of Kanye West’s move to Montana. Our coverage is wide-reaching and curious, exploring the ways in which popular (and sometimes niche) cultural products create a thread between complex ideas of politics, identity, social justice, and more.
In addition to thoughtfully examining the zeitgeist, Mic’s culture coverage aims to set a new cultural agenda, highlighting the best and most important projects from underrepresented groups and flourishing communities and examining burgeoning subcultures and emerging platforms for who — or what — might come next.
This takes shape in a daily mix of original reporting, commentary, and analysis that takes a unique perspective on trending news, and in-depth features that offer Mic’s approachable but thoughtful take on the contours of modern culture. The section is defined by not only its breadth of coverage, but also an engaging, thoughtful, and lighthearted voice.
The ideal candidate should have wide-ranging interests, be adept at exploring the cultural landscape through a critical lens, and understand how to use culture as a framework to illuminate the concerns and causes important to young people.
While we are based in New York City, remote candidates are being considered at this time.
- Manage the day-to-day workflow of a small team of part-time and freelance writers and reporters
- Assign and edit stories ranging from aggregated news to investigative features
- Edit quickly and accurately under tight deadlines
- Create vertical-defining series and franchises
- Develop creative ideas and strategies about how to expand Mic’s culture coverage
- Conceive unique ways to cover the biggest culture stories of the day and move the conversation forward
- 5-7 years of experience in writing, editing, or reporting
- Experience assigning and editing original reporting, news, and features
- Creative, independent thinker who is also a team player
- An understanding of how culture touches on Mic’s other areas of coverage, including politics, identity, and social issues
Bustle Digital Group (BDG) is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 82 million readers turn to our brands — Bustle, Elite Daily, Inverse, Mic, NYLON, W, Romper, Input, and The Zoe Report — to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City.