Associate Entertainment & Parenting News Editor, Romper
New York, NY
Editorial – Romper
Romper is seeking an Associate Entertainment & Parenting News Editor. The right candidate will have a passion for the Romper mission and be comfortable writing, as well as managing a small team of PT writers, to create daily content covering everything from celebrity and entertainment news to viral and trending parenting topics.
This role is only for someone who loves writing and working with other writers to hone angles, think critically, and draw a line from a single story to the bigger conversation. The ideal candidate will be well immersed in millennial parenting culture and fascinated by its intersection with the celebrity and entertainment world — from the newest boundary-pushing Sesame Street puppet and Cardi B’s latest Insta, to how the most recent episode of This Is Us tackles breastfeeding.
Candidates should have a solid understanding of SEO and social media practices, and an ability to package stories for different platforms. An ability to use real-time analytics to help prioritize assignments is also key, as well as a dedication to independent thought, humor, and inclusivity. This editor will produce an average of 5-6 stories per day.
Preference will be given to applicants who can work from our NYC office, however, remote applications will be considered.
- Write daily, while managing the day-to-day workflow of a small team of part-time and freelance writers
- Work closely with the Deputy and Features Editors to help build the site’s authority as the primary destination for nuanced, relatable, and entertaining content exploring the parenting experience
- Be reactive to the day’s parenting and entertainment news and brainstorm creative second-hour or second-day angles
- Develop vertical-defining series and franchises
- Maintain a calendar of relevant TV shows and movies, coordinate screeners and outreach for the team, and attend industry events as needed
- 2+ years of experience in writing, editing, and reporting
- Ability to write and edit quickly with voice, but without compromising brand integrity, voice, or mission
- Strong display writing and story packaging skills
- An understanding of how celebrity and entertainment news touches on Romper’s other areas of coverage
- Comfortable networking and attending events on behalf of the brand
- Creative, independent thinker with a sense of fun, urgency, and a can-do attitude
Bustle Digital Group (BDG) is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 82 million readers turn to our brands — Bustle, Elite Daily, Flavorpill Media, Inverse, Mic, NYLON, Romper, The Outline, Input and The Zoe Report — to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City, with offices in Chicago, Los Angeles, and London.