Beauty Shopping/News Writer, TZR
Editorial – The Zoe Report /
TZR is seeking a remote, part-time writer to cover beauty news and shopping. Day-to-day responsibilities include scanning, pitching, and writing news stories ranging from product launches to celebrity style as well as original reported shopping stories which encompass a mix of evergreen, service-driven, and trend stories.
The candidate must be well-versed in the topics of skin care, makeup, hair, nails, and body care as well as a passion for all things related to beauty. An innate ability to trendspot and be the first to cover the news are crucial to this role. The candidate must be able to write quickly without compromising the integrity of the content as well as be able to juggle multiple stories at once (short turnaround and longer lead).
Examples of the kinds of articles you’d work on include Chrissy Teigen’s latest pink hair transformation; this roundup of negative space manicures that are perfect for spring; and this service-driven review of Olaplex’s very first hair mask.
The majority of stories will require the writer to find sources and conduct phone or email interviews. A network of industry contacts and go-to experts (i.e. makeup artists, estheticians, and hairstylists) is preferred.
Candidates must have availability to work 2-4 days per week during business hours, EST. The writer will work remotely and communicate with the beauty news editor throughout their shift.
- Write 6-8 350- to 500-word stories per week, comprising a mix of pitches and assignments
- Stay up-to-date on the latest beauty trends and research diverse, influential thought leaders to produce authoritative content
- Manage ongoing assignments, including conducting interviews and follow-ups
- Applicants should have at least 2 years experience covering beauty topics at an online publication
- Keen understanding and advanced knowledge of best practices for search and social
- Ability to write quickly without compromising brand integrity or mission
- An energetic spirit, positive attitude, and a sense of urgency to deliver news to our devoted readers
- Knowledge of AP style
Bustle Digital Group (BDG) is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 82 million readers turn to our brands — Bustle, Elite Daily, Inverse, Mic, NYLON, W, Romper, Input, and The Zoe Report — to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City.