Features Editor, Romper
New York, NY
Editorial – Romper
Romper is looking for a Features Editor to be a strategic and creative lead for the site’s features vertical. The Features Editor will work closely with the Deputy Editor to help build the site’s authority as the primary destination for nuanced, relatable, and entertaining essays, op-eds, and celebrity interviews exploring the motherhood experience.
The Features Editor will be responsible for assigning, editing, and writing articles that elevate the parenting conversation through strong writing, thoughtful angles, and a sense for the things that delight, torment, and puzzle parents and the baby-curious alike. This editor will be responsible for publishing an average of 3 stories per day.
The ideal candidate will be well immersed in millennial parenting culture — from the conflicted emotions around “Baby Shark” to Cardi B’s latest Insta — and be as comfortable coordinating celebrity interviews and securing exclusives as reaching out to influencers and writers to commission columns, personal essays, and op-eds around trending parenting topics. A dedication to service, humor, and inclusivity is key for this role, along with a solid network of freelancers and experts.
This role is based in New York City and remote applicants will not be considered.
- Work closely with the Managing and Deputy Editors to further develop the brand’s content strategy, using analytics tools to monitor performance and adjust priorities as needed
- Collaborate closely with the lifestyle and entertainment teams to ensure the brand’s coverage of trending and timely topics is fresh, thoughtful, and informed
- Be reactive to the day’s parenting news and brainstorm creative second-hour or second-day angles
- Work with freelance contributors on stories to ensure Romper content is inclusive, engaging, and nuanced
- Manage the team’s live events coverage (awards shows, etc.)
- Produce an average of 3 stories per day
- 5+ years editing and writing experience in (ideally) digital media, with a proven interest in parenting topics
- Proven track record of producing articles that move the conversation
- Deep understanding of best practices for search and social
- Ability to write and edit quickly without compromising brand integrity, voice, or mission
- Strong display writing and story packaging skills
- Comfortable networking and attending events on behalf of the brand
- A sense of fun, urgency, and a can-do attitude
- This role reports to the Deputy Editor and is on-site in NYC
Bustle Digital Group (BDG) is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 82 million readers turn to our brands — Bustle, Elite Daily, Flavorpill Media, Inverse, Mic, NYLON, Romper, The Outline, and The Zoe Report — to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City, with offices in Chicago, Los Angeles, and London.