Director of Content & Programming, Video
New York, NY /
Creative – Video and Production /
Bustle Digital Group is seeking a YouTube audience-building expert to take on a newly created Director of Content and Programming role within our video team. In addition to leading creative development, programming, and content strategy, this person’s primary goal will be to grow Bustle’s YouTube channel into a high-performing juggernaut, bringing data-driven expertise to our channel’s programming decisions.
Equal parts creative and analytical, this role requires someone intimately familiar with the YouTube landscape and well-versed in what type of content, formats, and talent partnerships resonate on the platform. This person will work hand-in-hand with our creative directors, producers, and editors to develop and execute new original series and revitalize existing concepts to optimize channel performance.
Audience growth and engagement will be the key metric for success in this role. In addition to YouTube, this person will advise on best practices, platform trends, and content optimization metrics for every social platform BDG distributes video on.
This person should be adept at data analysis and analytics and use data and competitive research to inform the guidance they provide to the rest of the team. They are the keeper of best practices, consistently educating and updating the rest of the team on what content resonates on what platform and why.
In addition to editorial video, this role will also advise on branded video projects with insights into formats, topic areas, and content optimization strategies backed by data and insights. This role will report into the VP, Creative, Video.
- Independently analyze pre-existing content, content strategy, and programming slate
- Brainstorm and develop new YouTube series
- Analyze competitors and formats
- Work with producers to guide and execute formats
- Provide support in optimizing, tagging, distributing and packaging video content
- Work with social and edit teams on cross platform distribution strategies
- Guide traffic analysis and contribute future coverage plans based on data insights
- Stay up to date and test out new YouTube tools to increase engagement
- Evaluate and help set up cross promotional strategies with other YouTube accounts and host talent
- Create beat sheets for new series and formats
- Work with designers, editor and producers to brand shows and content formats
- Advise team on best practices for content across platforms
- On-going metrics reporting
- At least 5 years experience working directly on YouTube programming/content ideally in a media company setting
- Experience in creative series development
- Eye for design and aesthetics
- Knows their way around a video shoot, knowledge of production process from development through post-production
- A knack for women’s lifestyle content
- Comfortable working remotely and self-motivated
- Self-starter who can take this and run with it
Bustle Digital Group (BDG) is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 82 million readers turn to our brands — Bustle, Elite Daily, Inverse, Mic, NYLON, W, Romper, Input, and The Zoe Report — to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City.