Editorial - Bustle
UPDATE: Thank you so much for your interest in this position! Unfortunately, we have received several dozen applicants and have chosen to move forward with them at this time. That said, we encourage you to still apply to this position here. If we have additional openings, we will be in touch!
Bustle is seeking part-time, remote, general News Writers to help fill its news vertical with intelligent, thoughtful, and fast articles. Day-to-day responsibilities include breaking news, swift reporting, and informative roundups. Applicants should be experienced writers and reporters, preferably with daily newspaper/website experience. Diverse voices and those applicants with a spectrum of experience are encouraged to apply.
Topics of coverage will include politics, women's issues, national news, global news, health, tech, science, crime, and more. While original reporting and pitching will be encouraged, the general assignment team’s primary responsibility will be writing about the day’s trending events.
Candidates should be able to work one of the following shift schedules (EST):
Sunday 4 p.m. - 11 p.m. and Monday 4 p.m. - 11 p.m.
Friday 6:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. and Saturday 9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Cover breaking news in real-time and write assigned stories at a breakneck speed
- Juggle multiple articles at a time, with the ability to switch between politics, crime, and feminist content at the drop of a hat
- Synthesize information in a way that is readable, digestible, reliable, and relevant to our audience
- Master search engine optimization and apply these skills to own pieces
- Be a team player, listen to direction, and pitch in where needed
- Follow Bustle style and turn in crystal-clear, conversational copy
- Monitor social media and identify fresh, viral angles on top news stories
- Comfortable incorporating photos, videos, tweets, and memes naturally into news stories
- Ability to write clearly and accurately
- Unwavering journalistic integrity and ethical standards
- Pitch-perfect news judgement
- A strong voice and innovative ideas
- 2+ years reporting/blogging/writing experience
- Eagerness to work at a speed competitive with other outlets
- Degree in journalism, communications, political science, or related
- Comfortable working in an ever-changing, start-up environment
Bustle is the largest independent media property for Millennial women, reaching 50 million unique readers a month. Bustle delivers everything readers want to know, see, and read right now — spanning news, celebrity, culture, lifestyle, politics, fashion & beauty, and more. What we have in common with each other and our readers is that we're insatiably curious about the world. We care about what's working and what isn't about fashion, politics, technology, diversity, books, celebrities, health, beauty, work, sex, friendship, and how to make amazing food on a budget. These are the stories we deliver every day in a format that's always getting better, quicker, and more engaging.