New York, NY
Business & Operations – Operations
Bustle Digital Group is seeking a Payroll Manager to lead and manage all aspects of payroll for more than 500 full and part time employees across our US and UK offices. This includes processing, auditing, and reconciling multi-entity payroll, including reconciliation of wages and overtime, and calculating and processing requests for off-cycle payments and final pay. This position will report to the SVP of Human Resources, and will work closely with all members of the HR and Accounting teams.
This is a great opportunity to join a growing Human Resources team, contribute to a high growth environment, and strengthen both operational and technical payroll processes. The right candidate should be someone who enjoys taking on new challenges and seeks a role that will continually evolve as the company grows.
- Manage the day-to-day payroll operations, including identifying and implementing strategic initiatives, projects, and process improvements (salary and hourly employees)
- Review and ensure accuracy of gross pay to net pay, including earnings, deductions, garnishments, and taxes for exempt and nonexempt employees.
- Process payroll according to company procedures, ensuring accuracy and timeliness of payroll delivery.
- Process all payroll-related paperwork — new hire, transfer, payroll changes, separation, LOAs, and direct deposits ensuring necessary paperwork is sent to the appropriate party and maintained in files.
- Process unemployment, worker’s compensation, and employee leave requests (FMLA, PTO, etc.)
- Ensure HIPAA compliance at all times.
- Respond to and engage with employees regarding payroll, taxes, and benefits questions and requests in a friendly and efficient manner.
- Stay current with local state and federal legal requirements and government reporting regulations affecting payroll procedures to ensure they are compliant.
- Manage change requests in BDG’s HRIS system.
- Write, maintain, and support a variety of queries using appropriate reporting tools.
- A minimum of 3 years payroll experience with multi-state employees (including CA)
- International payroll experience is a plus
- Strong knowledge of federal, state, and local tax law
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) certification desired
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and high level of honesty and integrity
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with others
- Ability to handle adverse situations and/or tight time deadlines while maintaining accuracy and consistency
- Experience with Paylocity a plus
Bustle Digital Group (BDG) is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 82 million readers turn to our brands - Bustle, Elite Daily, Flavorpill Media, Gawker, Mic, NYLON, Romper, The Outline, and The Zoe Report – to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City, with offices in Chicago, Los Angeles, and London