Associate Entertainment Editor, Inverse
New York, NY
Editorial – Inverse
Inverse has an immediate opening for an Associate Entertainment Editor to help manage its prolific entertainment section that enthusiastically covers TV, movies, and video games.
The ideal candidate has a talent for sculpting stories from writers’ drafts, clear ideas from notions put forth in meetings, and can foster creativity among writers reporting into them. An obsession with creating guides that answer questions fans have about their favorite properties, and a passion for deep dives on TV and video games is a plus.
If you spend equal amounts of time on r/starwarsspeculation as you do reading film criticism, are managing a Twitter addiction, and have an opinion on the best new Pokémon starter, you’ll fit right in with our mission to take an elevated approach to entertainment coverage.
The Associate Editor reports to the Senior Entertainment Editor and manages a roster of part-time writers. The Associate Editor is expected to write a few shorter stories a week and one short feature story per month, which are filed to the Senior Entertainment Editor or another Inverse Senior Editor.
To apply, send 5 recent/relevant clips and your resume. A brief cover letter is preferred.
- Develop coverage strategies alongside Audience Development Manager and Sr. Entertainment Editor
- Elevate Inverse’s brand with creative features and franchises, alongside editorial leadership, by pitching new ways to tell stories using Inverse tech and talent
- Edit stories from writers and package them so the headline, art, lede, and nut graf form like Voltron
- Come to the morning pitch meeting abreast of the latest entertainment news and with ideas on how to carry the story forward
- Work a schedule that flows with the news cycle and the resulting weird hours (evenings, early mornings, some weekends)
- Three years professional relevant experience in journalism
- A record of enterprise reporting (please include a few examples in your clips)
- Familiarity with SEO best practices
Inverse is a future-focused publication that crosses the spectrum of science and art, dedicated to substantial reporting and serious writing -- with occasional irreverence. We write about science, entertainment, and innovation with an authoritative, insightful voice that slices through the hype.
Bustle Digital Group (BDG) is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 82 million readers turn to our brands - Bustle, Elite Daily, Flavorpill Media, Gawker, Mic, NYLON, Romper, The Outline, and The Zoe Report – to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City, with offices in Chicago, Los Angeles, and London