TV and Movies Editor, Inverse
Editorial – Inverse /
Inverse is searching for an Editor, TV and Movies. The role primarily involves editing articles about TV and movies, with occasional forays into music, books, and fandom.
The Associate Editor should understand the importance of and have a talent for creating headlines and clever story packaging for a digital media company in an environment where platforms like Google Discover, Apple News, and Flipboard, among others, play a significant role in cultivating and keeping a loyal audience.
The Associate Editor reports to the Senior Entertainment Editor and manages a roster of part-time writers.
If you are familiar with and an enthusiastic fan of the type of work that we do at Inverse and are looking to bring a more thoughtful approach to entertainment journalism broadly, please get in touch!
While Inverse’s office is based in New York City, this position can be remote.
To apply, send five recent/relevant clips, your resume, and a brief cover letter.
- Create a daily story budget with writers
- Create deadlines for writers
- Organize entertainment calendars with the managing editor
- Work with writers to develop ledes, nut grafs, and art that help their stories soar
- Work with writers to help them think about the big idea at the heart of their pitches
- Encourage writers always to do some original reporting
- Spot story ideas before morning pitch meetings
- Monitor writer performance and meet with them weekly about it
- Ensure Inverse editorial best practices are met
- Work with editors to develop original IP and franchises
- 3-4 years of editing experience
- 1-2 years of editing at an entertainment enterprise with a national scope
- A robust record of clips that show your successful original reporting or writing
- A record of lifting new or marginalized voices to a bigger audience
- An enthusiasm for diving into a fan theory, exploring it, and writing about it
- A talent for connecting the dots within a fictional universe
- An ability to lead by example with your own writing and reporting
- Familiarity with SEO best practices
Bonus points: A love of Baby Yoda
Inverse is a future-focused publication that crosses the spectrum of science and art, dedicated to substantial reporting and serious writing -- with occasional irreverence. We write about science, entertainment, and innovation with an authoritative, insightful voice that slices through the hype.
Bustle Digital Group (BDG) is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 82 million readers turn to our brands — Bustle, Elite Daily, Inverse, Mic, NYLON, W, Romper, Input, and The Zoe Report — to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City.