Culture Editor, NYLON
New York, NY /
Editorial – NYLON /
NYLON is seeking a Culture Editor to help develop and oversee the site's pop culture coverage, including technology, social media, books, astrology, and internet culture content.
The Culture Editor will work closely with the Executive Editor and Entertainment Editor to shape coverage, and will be responsible for assigning, editing, and writing news, service, and feature articles that appeal to NYLON’s audience via search and social platforms.
The ideal candidate has strong knowledge of and interest in pop and internet culture (and how they intersect with entertainment, fashion, and beauty), the ability to push stories forward with original reporting and thoughtful angles, a knack for discovering up-and-coming talent and trends, and an eye toward story optimization and performance. This person will manage and edit writers, and will also be responsible for writing and conducting interviews for NYLON franchises and features.
Candidates should have a desire to make NYLON the first and only destination for millennials and Gen-Z readers who want to know about the next big thing whether it be an internet meme or the next big star in Hollywood. An interest in and experience with securing exclusive interviews; networking, nurturing and maintaining strong industry contacts; and a desire to produce creative and impactful content is a must. NYLON’s culture coverage is inclusive, informative, and cutting edge.
While this role is currently remote, it will most likely be NYC based in the future.
- Reporting to the Executive Editor, work to set the tone, voice, and mission of the NYLON Culture section through daily and longer-lead story assigns.
- Work closely with Entertainment Editor to ensure all major pop culture moments are appropriately covered on-site.
- Work with part-time writers to assign and edit daily culture stories for publish, in order to meet weekly goals
- Attend relevant screenings, readings, concerts, and other events, with an eye for on-site or social coverage opportunities
- Keep a close eye on developing internet trends and viral moments
- Working closely with the entertainment team, pitch and write profile stories on up-and-coming talent and interview celebrities tied to new projects
- Pitch and execute tent-pole moments and packages for the site
- Oversee and manage astrology content, including editing monthly horoscopes
- Expand NYLON’s lifestyle coverage even further by identifying topics ripe for further coverage opportunity
- Collaborate on entertainment coverage for awards season, major red carpet events, music festivals, film festivals, and the like, planning far in advance for these tentpole events
- Maintain culture calendar of live red carpet events and share with team (Awards Season, Met Gala, VMAs, etc.)
- Use analytics tools to regularly monitor and optimize story and section performance, and develop and adjust strategy accordingly
- Work closely with team members on ideation, site direction, and content package execution
- 3-5 years editing or writing experience in (ideally) digital media
- Familiarity with best practices for search and social
- A strong news sense and ability to identify which trending stories should be covered daily on the site
- Ability to write and edit fast, without compromising factual information or brand integrity
- Industry contacts in New York and abroad
- Comfort networking and attending events on behalf of the brand
- A sense of fun, urgency, and a can-do attitude
- Relationships with freelance writers
- Ability to forecast pop culture trends and cover them before they hit the mainstream
Bustle Digital Group (BDG) is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 82 million readers turn to our brands — Bustle, Elite Daily, Inverse, Mic, NYLON, W, Romper, Input, and The Zoe Report — to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City.