Design Director, Video
New York, NY
Creative – Video and Production
Bustle Digital Group is seeking a Design Director for its video department to oversee graphics and art direction for a range of projects. Our focus ranges from short-form branded content to editorial original series, primarily for YouTube, Facebook and Instagram. This position will span the BDG portfolio, which includes Bustle, Elite Daily, Nylon, The Zoe Report, Romper, Inverse, Input, The Outline, and Mic.
The ideal candidate is a collaborator and a leader with a strong background in graphic design and visuals. Experience in motion graphics, illustration and set design are strongly preferred.
This person's day to day focuses on implementing and enforcing graphics packages and design best practices amongst a team of video editors, creating custom graphics for projects, assisting the Executive Creative Director in visual direction for editorial series, creating concepts for set design, pulling visual references and storyboards, and managing an in-house Art Director.
This person will be responsible for defining the look and feel of our programming, while figuring out creative ways to keep the BDG audience engaged and excited while elevating our content. We are looking for someone with a strong personal aesthetic who can adapt this and design for a versatile mix of sites.
- Overseeing design and animation for all video graphics
- Creative problem solving for editorial briefs and branded campaigns (could include storyboards, decks)
- Overseeing and executing deliverables of toolkits and assetsBranding digital short-form series
- Working in collaboration with the ECD, EP and Post Supervisor to ensure projects are aligned with client standards and adhere to timelines
- Managing an art director and maintaining a roster of freelancers (managing freelancers when we hire them)
- Anticipating team needs and being able to provide support whenever freelance assistance is required
- Being a team leader and an advocate for video design
- Based in the NY area
- Minimum 5 years of professional design/ visual experience in design, advertising, branding or a media company
- Strong portfolio with relevant work examples
- Fluent in the Adobe Creative Suite, specifically After Effects, Photoshop and Illustrator, working knowledge of Adobe Premiere
- Skilled in KeynoteTeam player, strong communicator, self-starter
- Excellent work ethic
- Open to feedback
- Strong project management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be organized in file handling/upkeep in a server system
Bustle Digital Group (BDG) is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 82 million readers turn to our brands — Bustle, Elite Daily, Flavorpill Media, Inverse, Mic, NYLON, Romper, The Outline, and The Zoe Report — to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City, with offices in Chicago, Los Angeles, and London.