Features Editor, Mic
New York, NY
Editorial – Mic
Mic is seeking a Features Editor to oversee long-form articles, profiles, reported pieces, essays, and exclusive interviews for the site. Candidates should have a demonstrated interest in working on content that contends with culture, politics, identity, race, LGBTQ experiences, intersectional feminism, and climate change. Candidates should skilled at taking trending topics and using them as a jump-off point for creative features that lead a new wave of discourse and smart reporting that puts current events in context. Mic’s features are crucial to shaping the voice and identity of the site, and we are looking for an ambitious editor who can assign and edit agenda-setting content in addition to hunting down underreported stories and exclusives.
The Features Editor will work closely with Mic’s vertical editors, as well as the Executive Editor, in developing this content, and will frequently collaborate with our design and product teams.
Ideal candidates will have experience creating and managing the workflow of assigning and editing features. Preferably, the candidate will also have a wide network of writers whose diverse voices they would like to bring to Mic.
- Commissioning and editing features, essays, and reported pieces
- Working with Mic’s lead editors to shape and refine their most ambitious work
- Creating and managing the workflow of assigning and editing features
- Recruit and build relationships with talented well-known writers and fresh voices alike
- 5+ years experience in editing features, politics, or culture coverage
- Firm understanding of how to report a story, and how to assign and select stories relevant to Mic’s readership
- Ability to assign relevant thought-provoking angles and in-depth analysis based on the news cycle
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment in a busy newsroom
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications, media, etc.
- Must be based in New York City
Bustle Digital Group (BDG) is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 82 million readers turn to our brands — Bustle, Elite Daily, Flavorpill Media, Inverse, Mic, NYLON, Romper, The Outline, and The Zoe Report — to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City, with offices in Chicago, Los Angeles, and London.