Beauty Editor, NYLON
New York, NY /
Editorial – NYLON /
NYLON is looking for a Beauty Editor to manage the day-to-day operations of NYLON's beauty vertical. The editor should have a vast knowledge of the beauty industry and how it intersects with the entertainment industry and pop culture, from YouTubers and TikTok trends, to celebrity beauty lines and prominent celebrity makeup artists.
Additionally, the Beauty Editor will make sure that NYLON's aesthetic is consistent within its beauty coverage, and find unique, on-brand ways to cover broader industry issues our readers are passionate about, like sustainability, diversity, and inclusivity. Ideal candidates will show a natural sense of urgency, strong news judgment, polished editing skills, and an eye for developing young talent.
The Beauty Editor is responsible for leading a team of writers to produce beauty articles that are authoritative, well-sourced, and comprehensive. The editor should be well-versed in search and social traffic strategies and have a knack for pushing stories forward with original reporting and thoughtful angles.
An interest in and experience with securing exclusive interviews; networking, nurturing and maintaining strong industry contacts; and a desire to produce creative and impactful content is a must. NYLON’s beauty coverage is inclusive, informative, and cutting edge.
- Work closely with the Editor-in-Chief to establish and refine NYLON's unique voice, POV, and mission in the beauty space.
- Edit or write 5 beauty stories per day (a mix of breaking news, service, and in-depth profiles/Q&As and reported features), managing a team of part-time writers and freelancers.
- Keep a close eye on developing internet trends and viral moments.
- Use analytics tools to monitor performance, and adjust strategy accordingly.
- Work closely with team members on ideation, site direction, and content package execution.
- Represent NYLON at relevant market appointments and events, with an eye for on-site or social coverage opportunities.
- 5+ years beauty editing and writing experience in (ideally) digital media
- Deep understanding of best practices for search and social
- Ability to write and edit quickly without compromising brand integrity, voice, or mission
- A strong news sense and ability to identify which trending stories should be covered daily on the site
- Strong display of writing and story packaging skills
- Relationships with freelance writers
- Excellent communication and leadership skills
- Network and attend industry events as a representative of NYLON
- Ability to forecast beauty trends and cover them before they hit the mainstream
Bustle Digital Group (BDG) is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 82 million readers turn to our brands — Bustle, Elite Daily, Inverse, Mic, NYLON, W, Romper, Input, and The Zoe Report — to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City.