Payroll and Benefits Specialist
New York, NY /
Business & Operations – Operations /
Bustle Digital Group is looking for a Payroll & Benefits Specialist that administers the activities relating to the company payroll, benefits and HRIS. This role will undertake a variety of tasks such as entering payroll information, calculating wages, preparing to process payments and
verifying applicable benefits assignments. This role requires a great understanding of the
concept of confidentiality and experience in entering employee data with attention to detail with
the goal to carry out all payroll procedures with speed and accuracy. The individual will manage
the day to day data used for payroll, benefits and within the HRIS system.
This individual is highly organized, a strong communicator, and proficient in HRIS data
management. This individual is self motivated and will work very closely with the Payroll
Manager to prepare payroll and the Senior HR Manager to ensure benefits feeds are properly
implemented and running smoothly day to day.
- Assist Payroll Manager in preparing payroll for hourly, salaried, and temporary employees; including reviewing time and attendance system, entering tax and direct deposit information, administering regulatory requirements, e.g., garnishments, tax levies, and support orders, union dues and other adjustments to pay as necessary for approval to the Payroll Manager.
- Facilitate necessary internal communication with Managers and Supervisors as part of part time payroll semi monthly processing.
- Respond to unemployment claims in a timely manner.
- Respond to verifications of employment in a timely manner.
- Maintain and update employee records in the payroll system in a timely manner.
- Onboard employees and assign the necessary class codes, position codes, EEO classifications, WC codes, benefits class, and retirement plan eligibility.
- Assist in employee data updates in TripAction.
- Assist in audits processes as needed.
- Maintain all third party data and update enrollment and terminations as needed with all
- employee benefit program vendors.
- Help run all needed reports and work with the Payroll Manager and Generalist team to compile all governmental regulatory mandates and ensure filings are performed as required such as the annual FSA compliance testing.
- Assist the Senior HR Manager with the open enrollment process, including helping set up the EDI feeds between the Payroll vendor and benefits vendors.
- Monitors ACA compliance and eligibility in the payroll system and flag any changes or updates in status to the Payroll Manager.
- Plans, conducts and reports results of audits to ensure all enrollments are accurate and that dependent information is correct for each employee.
- Maintains workers comp data and file feed between payroll vendor and Workers Comp vendor.
- Is responsible for running the reports used to process the monthly benefits invoices, including medical, dental, vision, Long Term Disability, Short Term Disability, Life, and supplementary benefits.
- 3+ years of experience in relevant roles dealing with payroll and benefits for companies with 100+ employees
- Experience handling sensitive and private information, and uses discretion
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word
- Familiar with Paylocity and other major payroll vendors
- Experience managing EDI feeds between Payroll vendor and benefits vendor
- An understanding of annual filings such as FSA audit, workers compensation, tax filings, year end filings, etc.
- Strong organizational and communication skills both written and verbal
- A demonstrated ability to work independently while serving and working with all departments across the company
- A team member who can easily harmonize with a range of personalities and is proactive and eager to build great relationships with others in the organization
Bustle Digital Group (BDG) is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 82 million readers turn to our brands — Bustle, Elite Daily, Inverse, Mic, NYLON, W, Romper, Input, and The Zoe Report — to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City.