Counsel, Legal Affairs
New York, NY
Business & Operations – Operations
Bustle Digital Group is looking for a highly qualified attorney to join its legal team in a Counsel, Legal Affairs role. This key strategic resource will report into the Senior Counsel, Legal Affairs and will provide legal advice, counsel, and representation through researching and advising on various legal issues and the negotiation, drafting and management of agreements for a broad range of topics and transactions.
The ideal candidate is a highly self-motivated, business-minded attorney who is resourceful, can manage multiple projects and competing priorities comfortably, and brings extraordinary judgment and interpersonal skills to the role.
- Serve as a legal advisor on business strategy, commercial transactions, business development and execution. This includes analyzing contracts, responding to business questions, and advising the Senior Counsel and the Executive Management Team to assist with business decisions.
- Proactively and creatively evaluate risk factors impacting business decisions as BDG grows, adds new brands and business lines. This includes researching, advising on and providing risk assessments for various legal issues, including intellectual property, defamation, fair use, contract law, privacy and data security, advertising, promotions, sweepstakes and contests, cause-related marketing, child performer obligations, and union and guild requirements.
- Structure, negotiate, draft and close a wide range of agreements for internal client groups including Ad Sales, Marketing, Sales Ops, Editorial, Video, Finance, HR, and PR, including the following:
- Content licensing agreements, distribution agreements, and content production agreements (e.g., video content, editorial content, photographic content) across all media platforms
- Advertising, sponsorship and marketing agreements (including agreements with advertising technology providers and exchanges).
- Ad sales client contracts including custom content, event SOWs, upfronts, content and measurement studies, sweepstakes, and production agreements, among others.
- Technology contracts, software/technology licensing and development agreements (including SaaS), IT agreements.
- Sourcing/procurement/vendor contracts.
- HR related agreements including benefits agreements, freelancer and consultant agreements.
- Conduct legal review of video and editorial content.
- Handle copyright matters and claims, including drafting cease and desist letters and settlement agreements.
- Liaise with Outside Counsel as needed.
- Assist with other matters and projects as needed.
- Law degree (J.D.) required.
- Must be an active member in good standing of either the New York or California bar.
- 4-6 years post-J.D. experience at a law firm and/or as an in-house counsel. Ability to develop a nuanced understanding of BDG and our industry.
- Demonstrated experience with privacy law, child performer obligations and/or SAG-AFTRA or other similar unions or guilds a plus.
- Must possess strong interpersonal and negotiation skills, and excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be able to respond to and interact with senior level creative and business executives in a professional, articulate, personable and helpful manner.
- Demonstrated drive for results and ability to prioritize risks and projects to focus on what’s important in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial (sometimes hectic) environment.
- Proficient with MS Office and Adobe Sign; experience with contract management software a plus.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage and effectively prioritize multiple projects.
- A demonstrated ability to work independently while serving a variety of departments within the company.
- A standout team member who can easily harmonize with a range of personalities and be proactive to build great relationships with others in the organization to brainstorm and get ideas or ask questions.
Bustle Digital Group (BDG) is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 82 million readers turn to our brands — Bustle, Elite Daily, Flavorpill Media, Inverse, Mic, NYLON, Romper, The Outline, and The Zoe Report — to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City, with offices in Chicago, Los Angeles, and London.