Tech & Social Media Writer, Bustle
Editorial – Bustle
* This role is currently closed as we have hired a writer but for any open roles please check our career page*
Bustle’s Lifestyle team is seeking a remote, part-time Tech & Social Media Writer to contribute smart, thoughtful articles two-three afternoons per week. In addition to frequently submitting on-brand pitches, the writer will work on service pieces, informative listicles, and timely news briefs covering new iPhones, iOS updates, and the latest Instagram feature.
There will also be opportunities to work on reported pieces around digital burnout and the intersection of tech and wellbeing. The majority of stories will require the writer to find sources, conduct phone interviews, and cite peer-reviewed studies.
A minimum commitment of at least two days per week is required. Writers should have the availability to work 6-7 hour shifts from 11am - 8pm EST on Wednesday and Thursday at a minimum.
- Pitching and writing 2-3 reported stories per shift
- Packaging posts for search and social optimization, including brainstorming headline ideas and sourcing appropriate photos and embeds
- Independently finding a diverse group of sources for each story
- Following Bustle style
- Submitting crystal clear copy that’s been proofread and fact-checked
- Consistently citing primary sources wherever possible and incorporating peer-reviewed studies
- 2+ years reporting and writing experience in social media or tech news
- Experience tracking down sources and spearheading interviews
- Ability to write clearly and maintain a conversational, yet professional tone
- Eager to take initiative and work independently while reporting
- Comfortable covering a wide range of sensitive topics
- On-point SEO skills
- Interest in exploring the intersection of tech and health
- Willing to pitch concise, well thought out story ideas on a weekly basis
- Keeps up with pop culture and can seamlessly reference it in stories
Bustle Digital Group (BDG) is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 82 million readers turn to our brands — Bustle, Elite Daily, Flavorpill Media, Inverse, Mic, NYLON, Romper, The Outline, Input and The Zoe Report — to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City, with offices in Chicago, Los Angeles, and London.