Managing Editor, Inverse
Editorial – Inverse /
Inverse seeks a dynamic leader and experienced editor to guide its editorial team. The Managing Editor will operate at a high level, executing the strategic direction of the Executive Editor of Inverse. Strong leadership skills and a drive to innovate and develop new solutions are critical.
The Managing Editor will be a hands-on operator, working with a team of editors and writers on a day-to-day basis. This position will report to Executive Editor Nick Lucchesi and support efforts that create outstanding journalism that builds loyalty, trust, and engagement. We are looking for a proven leader who can build teams and inspire excellence and innovation.
The ideal candidate will have significant experience managing a digital editorial team. The candidate will possess keen editorial judgment, and a deep knowledge of science, emerging technology, the genre entertainment we cover, and video games.
The candidate also will have first-hand experience running a digital operation, and know how to grow the audience by developing unique, timely, and useful content. They must be able to apply a careful, critical, eye to incoming stories from across the site.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrable experience in covering some or all of the following: The future of cities, the science of transportation, the mind & body, the natural world, and outer space. A strong interest and experience with the type of entertainment and video games we are passionate about is a plus.
If you’re as equally enthused about the next episode of The Mandalorian as you are about the latest scientific discoveries, you’re on the right track.
If you are fascinated by how the future is being shaped right now, and would thrive in an environment where you’re developing ideas into stories, you’ll be in good company at Inverse. As with most editing jobs, a sense of humor and a cool head certainly help.
- Oversee the day-to-day development, production, and distribution of digital content. Track story progress, push ideation meetings forward when needed, assure pitches are seaworthy before approval, and call out impressive work
- Establish policy to make the work-lives of the editorial team easier, by proactively transferring duties between employees, improving schedules and workloads, and forging new relationships between teams to make the people at Inverse, an already in-sync crew, even better at what they do. Your job is to create solutions
- Develop workflows that enable reporters, producers, and editors to work efficiently and effectively to report stories on the optimal platform at the optimal time
- The right candidate will assess, and then prompt, writers to push the limits of their still-developing abilities — and to take on increasingly ambitious editorial projects. This is often the most rewarding part of the job, to help a writer complete their greatest-yet work, and to observe our audience respond in-kind
- Coach and train the team on audience best practices, including metrics and analytics
- Develop editorial team members' skills and knowledge to help them build their careers, in part by regularly providing feedback
- Ensure the Inverse business strategy is understood by the team and communicate information and decisions made at a corporate level to ensure employees understand those decisions and how their role plays into the company's overall success
- Manage interns and fellows
- Work with the director of creative strategy
- Develop budget strategy and execution
- Conduct performance reviews and hiring
- Oversee Trello board management and creation
- Educate staff about the latest CMS updates
- Work with the engineering team to pass on suggestions from staff
- Outstanding story judgment and demonstrated experience spurring creative daily coverage that builds and serves a loyal, engaged audience
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team of writers and editors to embrace a unified vision
- Excellent editing ability and demonstrated skill in working under deadline pressure
- Demonstrated experience as a manager in hiring, growing and inspiring journalists
- Demonstrated project management experience
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and act quickly on new digital audience growth opportunities
- Solid understanding of content management systems and web-based products and standards
- Experience building large, loyal audiences through SEO, audience analytics and social media
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, verbal and written, with the ability to effectively collaborate across the organization
Bustle Digital Group (BDG) is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 82 million readers turn to our brands — Bustle, Elite Daily, Inverse, Mic, NYLON, W, Romper, Input, and The Zoe Report — to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City.