News Writer, Bustle
Editorial – Bustle
UPDATE: Thank you so much for your interest in this position! Unfortunately, we have received many applications and have chosen to move forward with selected candidates at this time. That said, we encourage you to still apply to this position here. If we have additional openings, we will be in touch!
Bustle Digital Group is seeking a part-time Remote Writer to help fill its news vertical with intelligent, thoughtful, and fast articles. Day-to-day responsibilities include breaking news, swift reporting, and informative roundups. Ideal candidates should be experienced writers and reporters, preferably with daily newspaper/website experience. Diverse voices are encouraged to apply.
Topics of news coverage will include politics, women's issues, national news, global news, crime, tech and more. While original reporting and pitching will be encouraged, the general assignment team’s primary responsibility will be writing about the day’s trending events.
Candidates should be able to work two to three consecutive shifts:
Thursday, 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. ET
Friday, 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. ET
and eventually Saturday 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. ET
- Cover breaking news in real-time and write assigned stories at a breakneck speed
- Juggle multiple articles at a time, with the ability to switch between politics, crime, and feminist content at the drop of a hat
- Synthesize information in a way that is digestible and relevant to our audience
- Master search engine optimization and apply these skills to own pieces
- Work well in teams, listen to direction, and pitch in where needed
- Follow Bustle style and turn in crystal-clear, conversational copy
- Monitor social media and identify fresh, viral angles on top news stories
- Comfortable incorporating photos, videos, tweets, and memes naturally into news stories
- 2+ years reporting/blogging/writing experience
- Ability to write clearly and accurately
- Unwavering journalistic integrity and ethical standards
- Pitch-perfect news judgement
- Comfortable covering a wide range of topics
- Have a strong voice and innovative ideas
- Eagerness to work at a speed competitive with other outlets
- Degree in journalism, communications, political science, or related
Bustle Digital Group (BDG) is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 82 million readers turn to our brands — Bustle, Elite Daily, Flavorpill Media, Inverse, Mic, NYLON, Romper, The Outline, Input and The Zoe Report — to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City, with offices in Chicago, Los Angeles, and London.