Video Games Trends Writer, Inverse
Editorial – Inverse /
Inverse has an immediate opening for a journalist who is eager to report out the trends that are shaping the business, culture, and science of video games.
The ideal candidate already has relationships with industry analysts and gaming influencers alike, and values inclusive, accessible writing. They love to create scoops through interviews, follow-ups, and research.
In response to growing readership and steady leadership, Inverse is elevating its video game coverage. This position is critical to making sure our success continues in a way that’s aligned with our mission to pair essential reporting with mind-expanding storytelling and creative angles.
There is room for smarter video game journalism that still reads like it was written by someone like you. You can be that person.
This is a part-time job with the ability to work up to 28 hours a week.
- File a new story every working day
- Contribute to collaborative projects
- Succeed in beats consistently enough to develop a weekly franchise
- Learn Inverse house style and possess excellent grammar
- Regularly spin anecdotal ledes into righteous nut grafs
- Interview subjects without prompting from an editor
- Chip in on section-wide initiatives as directed by the section editor
- Follow Inverse CMS best practices
- File error-free stories
- Work with editors on multimedia projects and ideas for special issues
- Maintain the generous demeanor befitting one who works in a team environment — aka, be a team player
- Exercise critical thinking skills with an eye on improving every idea
- 3-4 years experience writing or reporting on video games
- Must pitch story ideas and angles on how to cover them
- Attend a daily pitch meeting
- Maintain a Trello board of assignments
Bustle Digital Group (BDG) is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 82 million readers turn to our brands — Bustle, Elite Daily, Inverse, Mic, NYLON, W, Romper, Input, and The Zoe Report — to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City.