Politics Editor, Mic
New York, NY
Editorial – Mic
Mic is seeking a Politics Editor who understands the fast-paced world of politics and the nuances of social justice to run our Politics section. This is a pivotal editing role that requires a relentless obsession with how the news impacts young people as well as a deep grasp of the issues that underlie the political news of the day.
You will be responsible for managing the day-to-day editing and publishing on our politics vertical and working with writers and reporters to identify and produce smart, engaging stories. You should also be eager to write yourself, and act as a player/coach to the rest of the team. You should also understand how to translate the news into meaningful commentary that explores the intersection of culture and politics.
The ideal candidate has experience working in a fast-paced news environment and an understanding of the unique demands of producing quality journalism in the digital media space.
- Manage the day-to-day workflow of a small team of writers and reporters
- Identify, assign, edit, and publish several articles per day
- Occasionally write features for the section
- Monitor real-time trends on social media, staying on top of minute-by-minute new developments
- Work with reporters to manage and assist the reporting process on original stories
- 5-7 years of experience in writing, editing, or reporting
- Previous editorial experience at a premium news organization or outlet
- An astonishing attention to detail in copy
- Ability to provide productive feedback in a fast-paced setting
- Ability to assign stories with a unique angle on the biggest news of the day
- Voracious reader of political news from diverse sources
- A fair and balanced editor
- Ability to stay organized, meet deadlines, and work well under pressure
Bustle Digital Group (BDG) is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 82 million readers turn to our brands - Bustle, Elite Daily, Flavorpill Media, Gawker, Mic, NYLON, Romper, The Outline, and The Zoe Report – to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City, with offices in Chicago, Los Angeles, and London