Director of Business Operations/General Manager, W
New York, NY /
Business & Operations – Operations /
W Media Group is the new parent company of W Magazine. We are paving the way for a new model for fashion media prioritizing key issues around sustainability, diversity, and digital impact.
The General Manager role is for a dynamic candidate that has what it takes to create and execute lasting change. The General Manager’s responsible for developing, leading and executing on the business and growth of W Media. The role is fundamental in bringing together all parties in W Media group, working side by side with W and BDG key stakeholders including Marketing, HR, Product Management, Social, Business Development and Finance teams. It’s an opportunity to lead while incorporating new ideas.
The role reports to the CEO of BDG, with a dotted line to the President of W Media. As offices reopen, there may be an opportunity to work from both BDG and W offices in the New York City area. The ideal candidate will be well-connected with senior leaders of major publishing and media companies, as well as be an expert in the digital media landscape, understanding the current and future challenges
publishers face and create innovative solutions to help solve them.
- Work with CEO of BDG and President of W Media to develop the vision for W, defining what we are building towards and what a vibrant, profitable, large-scale business looks like moving forward.
- Create new product ideas and concepts with appropriate business cases built to help grow the W business
- Create an ongoing operating plan in support of achieving that vision including maintaining W’s Cash flow and Budget with Finance, tracking hiring plans with Human Resources and working across both BDG and W to develop and implement new business units and revenue streams for W
- Prepare materials for W Board and any other key stakeholder including presentations for
- Board meetings and all business and strategy materials as needed.
- Optimize financial performance and KPI’s through sound practices and strategy
- In coordination with BDG technology team, optimize and implement new digital products (ie commerce infrastructure, CMS infrastructure replatform, etc )
- Work with BDG and W sales teams to execute new models of brand advertising to drive revenue growth
- Manage up and down across the org chart to help facilitate strong communication and a general smoothness to the operations of the business
- Key hiring support across W business and digital functions
- Fundraising strategy and support
- At least 10 years of work experience, including 3-5 years owning cash flow and P&L at media or media-adjacent company with creative industry
- Track record of successfully managing Budgets and P&L's well as content monetization and revenue streams
- Have a clear demonstrable knowledge of digital and emerging platforms/new opportunities in the media landscape
- Ability to build consensus and relationships among executives, partners, and the workforce
- Proven negotiation skills
- Ability to understand new issues quickly and make wise decisions
- Ability to manage a technical product roadmap
- Ability to inspire confidence and create trust
- Ability to work under pressure, plan personal workload effectively, and delegate
Bustle Digital Group (BDG) is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 82 million readers turn to our brands — Bustle, Elite Daily, Inverse, Mic, NYLON, W, Romper, Input, and The Zoe Report — to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City.