Senior Data Engineer - Remote
New York /
Engineering – Data /
Button’s mission is to build a better way to do business in mobile. Today, we work with some of the largest and most interesting businesses in the world to connect consumers with what they want at the tap of a button. We build with the consumer experience in mind, have a reputation for paving the future of mobile, and have a good time doing it. Data is the foundation for building our next generation of products—and that's where you come in.
As a Senior Data Engineer, you will help build the systems responsible for ingesting, processing, and analyzing the data streams that drive key decisions we and our customers make. You will work on integrating machine learning and ETL systems that process billions of events, built on SQS/SNS, Airflow, dbt, BigQuery, AI notebook, Fivetran, and Looker, and written in Python and Go. You will closely partner with Button’s Data Science and Data Analyst teams to craft and refine the reusable components of our data platform.
Button is based in NYC and has employees distributed throughout the US and UK. This position is for NYC, SF, or Remote. #LI-Remote
AS A DATA ENGINEER YOU WILL:
- Work with data scientists and data analysts to design, build, and deploy reusable components for data storage, data processing, machine learning, and data accessibility.
- Expand our pipeline instrumentation and tooling with monitoring, alerting, logging, and tracing for our critical business tasks.
- Support new feature development as the data partner. You’ll be involved end-to-end, embedding with lean, cross-disciplinary product engineering teams to define and execute on the product’s goals.
WE ARE LOOKING FOR TEAMMATES WHO HAVE:
- A passion for building reliable and scalable data systems services for understanding the underlying products, as well as an interest in exploring new technologies.
- Comfort operating across the entire span of a data pipeline including, but not limited to, standing up basic infrastructure, database schema design, data ingesting, truncation, translation, aggregation, and reporting.
- A track record of “leveling-up” the team around them, driving impact not just through their own contributions but also by elevating others.
- An excellent understanding of API design, and experience designing reliable APIs.
- Experience and comfort in a production environment. You’ll be working in a“magic-free” service-oriented environment.
- 4+ years of experience working with data infrastructure and frameworks. Today, Button uses AWS SQS/ SNS, GCP BigQuery/ AI notebook, Airflow, dbt, Fivetran, and Looker — and we are eager to learn more.
- 3+ years working with ETL processes and best practices
- Proficiency with both relational and non-relational databases
- Experience with SQL
- 3+ years experience with Python and/or Go
- Experience writing production code as part of a team
- Experience Python scientific stack is a plus
- An awareness of the landscape of available data storage and processing tools.
MORE ABOUT US:
- Button was founded in 2014. We’ve raised $65M in funding. Most recently we announced our $30M Series C in June 2019, led by Icon Ventures. Our investors include Norwest, Redpoint, Greycroft, DCM, and Capital One Ventures. We’re approximately 20 engineers and 45 people overall.
- We believe and invest in personal growth, and we’ve got the results to back it up. We’ve been recognized multiple times by Fortune, Inc., and Crain’s magazines as one of the best places to work in the US.
- We value diversity and come from all sorts of different backgrounds. We were especially proud the first time we hired a coding boot camp graduate.
Button is committed to being a welcoming and inclusive workplace for everyone, and we are intentional about making sure people feel respected, supported and connected at work—regardless of who you are or where you come from. We value and celebrate our differences and we believe being open about who we are allows us to do the best work of our lives.
Button is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate against qualified applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual preference, sexual identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law, rule, or regulation.
To read more about what personal information we collect on your behalf and for what purposes we use such information, click here.