Staff Data Engineer
Engineering – Data /
Button’s mission is to build a better way to do business in mobile. Today, we work with some of the largest and most interesting businesses in the world to connect consumers with what they want at the tap of a button. We build with the consumer experience in mind, have a reputation for paving the future of mobile, and have a good time doing it.
As a Staff Data Engineer, you will help build the systems responsible for ingesting, processing, and analyzing the data streams that drive key decisions we and our customers make. You will work on integrating machine learning and ETL systems that process billions of events, built on BigQuery, SQS, and Airflow, and written in Python and Go. You will be a close partner to Button’s Data Scientists, crafting and refining the reusable components of our data platform.
Your work will influence how Button makes strategic decisions and tactical tradeoffs in our product. You will be responsible for developing efficient data infrastructure as our needs for storage and processing expand.
Our high-trust fast-moving environment affords the opportunity to develop expertise utilizing services at a meaningful scale in a cloud environment. We work with a broad range of technologies in a fast-paced environment where you'll ship changes to production dozens of times each day.
Button is a RemotePlus company, and this position is eligible for 100% remote work from anywhere in the USA or Canada.
AS A STAFF DATA ENGINEER YOU WILL:
- Work with data scientists to design, build, and deploy reusable components for data storage, data processing, machine learning, and data accessibility.
- Use your technical and data expertise to establish robust data pipelines and solutions to facilitate trusted data availability across multiple systems.
- Expand our pipeline instrumentation and tooling with monitoring, alerting, logging, and tracing for our critical business tasks.
- Assemble large, complex sets of data that meet non-functional and functional business requirements.
- Collaborate with teams in data, product, and leadership teams to assist with data-related technical issues and troubleshooting
WE LOOK FOR TEAMMATES WHO:
- Experience with and a desire to continue learning about data infrastructure and frameworks.
- Understand the tradeoffs between getting things out the door and investing in the long-term solution. Balance short-term delivery against long-term roadmap.
- Work closely and collaboratively with data scientists and product engineering.
- Have strong data fundamentals including SQL, databases, and ETL best practices, as well as experience with cloud infrastructure.
- Collaborate primarily with other parts of product engineering to define and make the case for specific implementation choices.
- Clearly articulate technical tradeoffs and pros/cons of design features, and receive feedback on their designs openly.
- 7+ years of experience building, maintaining, and supporting high-volume data systems and infrastructure.
- Experience with GCP BigQuery, DataStudio, and Looker.
- Experience with Relational and non-relational databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Redis).
- Experience with Python, Apache Airflow, and dbt.
- Experience with AWS infrastructure and GCP infrastructure not listed above is a plus
MORE ABOUT US:
- Button was founded in 2014. We’ve raised $65M in funding. Most recently we announced our $30M Series C in June 2019, led by Icon Ventures.
- Our investors include Norwest, Redpoint, Greycroft, DCM, and Capital One Ventures.
- We’re approximately 20 engineers and 45 people overall.
- We believe and invest in personal growth, and we’ve got the results to back it up. We’ve been recognized multiple times by BuiltIn, Fortune, Inc., and Crain’s magazines as one of the best places to work in the US.
- We value diversity and come from all sorts of different backgrounds. We were especially proud the first time we hired a coding boot camp graduate.
Button is proud to offer employees a RemotePlus work experience, allowing employees the opportunity to live and work anywhere in the United States of America or Canada. Button’s total compensation package includes a base salary competitive with what is offered by similar companies in major US markets. The salary range for this role is expected to be between $174,000 and $225,000 (offered salary is based on a number of factors including skills and experience relative to the job description listed above). In addition, Button provides employees with a 401(k) plan and automatically contributes 3% of an employee’s salary annually. We want our employees to be truly invested in their work– each Buttonian receives stock options upon joining the company. We also want our employees to be well-rested and live balanced lives–Buttonians enjoy unlimited time off (including birthdays off) and periodic Mental Health Weeks which allow the entire company to take a breath and recharge, as well as an employee assistance program. For many of the health, vision, and dental insurance plans offered by Button, the company covers 100% of the premiums for employees and 75% for dependents. Button offers all employees and their dependents complimentary memberships to One Medical as well as a monthly stipend for mobile phone/internet and an annual lifestyle stipend. Button also offers employees in select markets “All Access” memberships to WeWork as well as regular “coworking days” and social events. Most of all, Button offers our employees the opportunity to live our company values–Grow, Learn, and Adapt–and to be a part of an incredible team of humans working together to build a better way to do business in mobile.
Button is committed to being a welcoming and inclusive workplace for everyone, and we are intentional about making sure people feel respected, supported and connected at work—regardless of who you are or where you come from. We value and celebrate our differences and we believe being open about who we are allows us to do the best work of our lives.
Button is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate against qualified applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual preference, sexual identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law, rule, or regulation.
To read more about what personal information we collect on your behalf and for what purposes we use such information, click here.