Head of Design
Product – Design
Working at Button is one of the most fun, fulfilling, and challenging experiences you'll have - and it's one of the reasons why we were voted one of the best places to work in NYC.
Button builds meaningful connections between mobile apps and websites, by being the connective fabric that allows our partners to guide their customers to make the right purchase at the right time. We’ve built our reputation on reliability and innovation, and our design team prides itself on thoughtful design systems that scale effortlessly while remaining transparent with tools and products that empower both our partners and the customers we touch.
As our Head of Design at Button, you’ll lead, coach, and grow our design teams. We will rely on you to establish and uphold a culture of design, research and testing, and cross-department collaboration - pushing the boundaries across both web and mobile applications. You will drive the ‘right’ projects forward for the business –balancing a resilient design system with immediate needs.
We’re looking for someone who is passionate about refining design strategy and utilizing a combination of research, data, and analytics to make the best product and design decisions.
As the Head of Design, you will set the tone and empower others on the team to facilitate effective design discussions, reviews, and sprints. You will be an active participant in prioritizing and developing our brand, product, and roadmap, and will work closely with our talented product management team to ship great products and ensure that we build user-centric and scalable experiences across all platforms and user types.
As a company, we believe in finding the right tool for the right job and enjoy experimenting with new technologies. Our design team currently uses Sketch, InVision, Adobe Creative Suite, Wake, Slack, and JIRA - and we’re just as excited about what we’ll use next.
AS THE HEAD OF DESIGN YOU WILL:
- Lead a team of product, user experience, and visual designers to build exceptional experiences
- Define a holistic, and scalable design strategy for rich, complex web applications and new mobile experiences
- Lead and evolve Button’s design systems and language to adapt to new products and features, content, and marketing challenges
- Coach, mentor, and provide guidance to the broader organization around all facets of the design process, moving between product design, user experience design, and visual design
- Shape a collaborative design culture through industry best practices as well as new ideas, tools, and infrastructure that help teams design, build, and ship great work
WE LOOK FOR TEAMMATES WHO HAVE:
- Extensive experience designing for and managing product design teams for both web and mobile applications
- Valuable opinions and best practices around product design and processes
- A generalist design background and the ability to provide guidance across product, visual, and/or design research
- A track record of strong cross-functional collaboration
- Demonstrated success conceiving and iterating on new products and features –balancing intuition, data, and strategy
- Experience mentoring others, and a passion to continue to do so
WHO WILL YOU WORK WITH?
- Chris Maddern, Co-Founder and Chief Product Officer of Button. Prior to Button, Chris led mobile engineering at popular social payments network Venmo & has founded several mobile products startups.. some of which were successful. In his spare time, Chris is an avid foodie and wine-lover. When not eating or drinking he will always be found tinkering with some new project (or tweeting).
- Nelle McDade, Nelle works on all things design related at Button, from our partner dashboard, in-app user-experience, to the delightful branded assets and complex internal tools. Outside of Button you can find her DIYing in Astoria, taking on new hiking challenges, or exploring new breweries around NYC. Outside of Button Nelle is a public policy wonk and an avid baker, you can find her with a fresh batch of homemade cookies every weekend!
- Cori Huang, Brand and Communications Designer at Button. Cori works on Button’s visual design, collaborating across teams to build Button’s visual brand and create scalable templates and assets. Cori also loves to read, travel, drink coffee, and make stuff with her hands.
- James (or Jimmy) McGill, Vice President of Engineering. Hailing formerly from both Australia and Google, he spends his weekends hiking, surfing and designing and building furniture. See James for all of your Vegemite needs.
Our team values and celebrates our diverse backgrounds. Being open about who we are and what we do allows us to do the best work of our lives. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. You can learn more about how we are making Button a diverse and inclusive environment through our perks and benefits here.