Summer 2020 Internship: Software Engineer - Security Team
Engineering – Infrastructure
Button’s mission is to build a better way to do business in mobile. To do that, we're partnering with some of the largest and most interesting companies in the world to build rich and effortless commerce experiences at scale. We process billions of requests per month on systems built with a strong bias towards stability and reliability, yet balance this with a curiosity and willingness to experiment. We know that building a better future for mobile, one that doesn't depend on anachronistic banner ads to survive, is going to require a team of talented engineers that also believes that there must be a better way.
As a software engineer intern on the security team you will bring passion and creativity to learn our in-house security practices to help the team operate efficiently and gain exposure to a production system built in AWS for scale. The ideal candidate will have knowledge of software engineering practices, security, networking and database fundamentals.
We are an infrastructure team that supports the Button environment and recognizes the need for deep expertise and enthusiasm to evolve to the next stage of the platform. You will embed on the infrastructure team and work day to day with devops engineers, platform engineers and security engineers.
We will provide all interns with lots of mentorship, stunning NYC views, free food, lots of fun, and a monthly stipend of $5,000 (no relocation assistance provided).
WE ARE LOOKING FOR CANDIDATES WHO HAVE...
- An incoming senior or graduate student enrolled in a BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, or equivalent program.
- The desire to learn, apply and evolve as a security engineer
- Strong technical skills in at least one area (Networking, Database, Programming, AWS), who are willing to acquire skills in the application of their security knowledge to solving problems at Button
- Some experience with Docker based apps or container orchestration (Kubernetes, ECS, Mesosphere), and linux fluency is highly preferred
- The ability to work 40 hours/week and be in the NYC office 4-5 days/week
- US Work Authorization
AS A 2020 SUMMER INTERN YOU WILL...
- Implement your programming knowledge in the improvement of our security automation
- Discover and remediate security issues in a modern and varied infrastructure stack
- Be a voice on the infrastructure team for security practices and improving the processes and methods of our engineering team
- Design, build, and tackle tough engineering challenges - just like our full time engineers
- Be given the resources, responsibility and support to make massive impact
WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH...
- Patrick Daly, Director of Infrastructure: Startup veteran, having worked in Sydney, San Francisco and the New York tech scenes for 10 years, find Patrick on the weekends hiking, reading, exploring the NYC restaurant, bar and music scene.
- Jon Winton, Senior DevOps Engineer: Jon is an Austin transplant who likes breakfast tacos. The only thing better than Infrastructure as code is his dog.
- Jeff Matthews, Security Analyst:
Button is committed to being a welcoming and inclusive workplace for everyone, and we are intentional about making sure people feel respected, supported and connected at work—regardless of who you are or where you come from. We value and celebrate our differences and we believe being open about who we are allows us to do the best work of our lives.
Button is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate against qualified applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual preference, sexual identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law, rule, or regulation.
To read more about what personal information we collect on your behalf and for what purposes we use such information, click here.