Operations Engineer, Infrastructure
Engineering – Infrastructure
Button’s mission is to build a better way to do business in mobile by bringing seamless commerce experiences to every app. We process billions of requests per month on systems designed for scale and reliability. We know that building a better future for mobile, one that doesn't depend on anachronistic banner ads to survive, is going to require a team of talented engineers that also believes that there must be a better way.
The Button Engineering team builds and operates a large scale, fault-tolerant, service-oriented architecture running primarily in Amazon ECS. We’re strong advocates for open source, and have developed a robust platform built on top of Docker, Terraform, Grafana, Prometheus and ELK.
As an Operations Engineer on our Infrastructure team you’ll take ownership for the reliability,
stability, efficiency and consistency of Button’s production infrastructure. You’ll work with our Product Engineering team to identify operational improvements that have impact across our entire platform, and take ownership of the day to day operation of our global cloud infrastructure.
AS AN OPERATIONS ENGINEER ON THE INFRASTRUCTURE TEAM YOU WILL:
- Develop a deep understanding of Button’s service-oriented technology stack, and take ownership of the ongoing operation and support of our cloud infrastructure.
- Ensure that Button maintains our reputation for reliability by participating in our on-call rotation and triaging inbound infrastructural issues.
- Identify and streamline common operational challenges including capacity sizing, database migrations and deployments.
- Partner with DevOps to write the book on ‘Infrastructure Best Practices’ at Button.
- Maintain a ‘mystery-free’ production environment by identifying anomalies in production and digging in to discover root causes.
WE ARE LOOKING FOR TEAMMATES WHO HAVE:
- Experience supporting production services in a cloud environment.
- A strong understanding of the operational requirements of service oriented architectures and relational databases.
- A methodical approach to troubleshooting and root cause analysis.
- A clear and calm communication style, particularly when operating under pressure.
- A passion for instrumentation and observability. Experience with our stack(Prometheus, Grafana, ELK) is a plus, but not required.
YOU WILL WORK WITH:
- James (or Jimmy) McGill, VP of Engineering: Hailing formerly from both Australia and Google, he spends his weekends hiking, surfing and designing and building furniture. See James for all of your Vegemite needs.
- Mike Wakerly, CTO: Mikey is Button’s Hawaiian shirt enthusiast and Chief Technology Officer. A former Googler and a San Francisco transplant, he loves mountain biking, tinkering on electronics, and any excuse to take a road trip.
- Jon Winton , Senior DevOps Engineer: Jon is an Austin transplant who likes breakfast tacos and the only thing better than Infra as code, is his dog
MORE ABOUT US:
- Button was founded in 2014. We’ve raised $65M in funding. Most recently we announced our $30M Series C in June 2019, led by Icon Ventures. Our investors include Norwest, Redpoint, Greycroft, DCM, and Capital One Ventures. We’re approximately 40 engineers and 120 people overall.
- We believe and invest in personal growth, and we’ve got the results to back it up. We’ve been recognized multiple times by Fortune, Inc., and Crain’s magazines as one of the best places to work in the US.
- We value diversity and come from all sorts of different backgrounds. Some of our teammates hail from big tech companies like Google; from financial giants like Bloomberg and MasterCard; and from previous startups like Chartbeat, Compass, and Blue Apron. We were especially proud the first time we hired a coding boot camp graduate.
Button is committed to being a welcoming and inclusive workplace for everyone, and we are intentional about making sure people feel respected, supported and connected at work—regardless of who you are or where you come from. We value and celebrate our differences and we believe being open about who we are allows us to do the best work of our lives.
Button is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate against qualified applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual preference, sexual identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law, rule, or regulation.