Engineering – Platform
Button’s mission is to build a better way to do business in mobile. Today, we work with some of the largest and most interesting businesses in the world, to connect consumers with what they want at the tap of a button. We build with the consumer experience in mind, and we have a reputation for paving the future of mobile and enjoying the road to get there.
As a Tech Lead at Button, you will spend equal amounts of time building great software and guiding others to do the same. We will rely on you to establish and maintain a culture of technical excellence and to continually grow those who you work with by providing strong technical mentorship.
We’re looking for someone who is just as passionate about putting in place the right process to build software as they are about diving in and building it themselves. This is a hands-on role; you should be comfortable, and excited, to dive in and write code.
As a company, we believe in finding the right tool for the right job, and are fanatic about experimenting with new technologies. Our systems today are built using Go, NodeJS, Python and React and run on AWS - but we’re just as excited about what we’ll use next.
AS TECH LEAD YOU WILL:
- Lead design discussions and sprints and set the overall technical direction for your team.
- Be an active participant in fleshing out a product roadmap, and will work closely with our talented product management team to ensure that we strike the right balance between building a strong technical foundation and shipping great products.
- Take ownership of the team’s processes and productivity.
- Quickly distill fast-moving product requirements into tangible engineering tasks and designs.
- Influence the direction of Button Engineering by driving the adoption of new tools and technologies.
WE LOOK FOR TEAMMATES WHO HAVE:
- Extensive experience working on the design and development of APIs and distributed systems.
- Experience designing scalable, mission-critical systems.
- A generalist background and the ability to “go deep” anywhere in the stack.
- A track record of strong cross-functional collaboration.
- Experience mentoring others, and a passion to continue to do so.
- An ability to move fast, make decisions, and a focus on pragmatism over perfection.
WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH:
- Mike Wakerly, CTO. Mikey is Button’s Hawaiian shirt enthusiast and Chief Technology Officer. A former Googler and a San Francisco transplant, he loves mountain biking, tinkering on electronics, and any excuse to take a road trip.
- Jimmy McGill, VP of Engineering. Hailing formerly from both Australia and Google, he spends his weekends designing and building furniture. See James for all of your Vegemite needs.
- Jiaqi Liu, Software Engineer: Jiaqi is Software Engineer at Button, responsible for several backend and data engineering projects. An avid Pythonista and a frequent speaker at conferences large and small, outside of work she loves to mentor at hackathons and organize meetups for Women Who Code.
Button is committed to being a welcoming and inclusive workplace for everyone, and we are intentional about making sure people feel respected, supported and connected at work—regardless of who you are or where you come from. We value and celebrate our differences and we believe being open about who we are allows us to do the best work of our lives.
Button is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate against qualified applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual preference, sexual identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law, rule, or regulation.