Software Engineer, Data Platform
Engineering – Data
Button’s mission is to build a better way to do business in mobile. Today, we work with some of the largest and most interesting businesses in the world, to connect consumers with what they want at the tap of a button. We build with the consumer experience in mind, and we have a reputation for paving the future of mobile and enjoying the road to get there. Data is at the very core of proving we’re on the right track—and that's where you come in.
As a Software Engineer working on our Data Platform, you will build and evolve the systems responsible for aggregating, visualizing, and analyzing the data streams that drive every decision we and our customers make. You will work on data pipelines and ETL systems that process billions of requests per month, built on Redshift, SQS, and Docker, and written in Python and Go. As we grow, a significant part of your role will be to ‘make the case’ for new approaches and technologies when you see opportunity.
AS A SOFTWARE ENGINEER YOU WILL:
- Build and evolve our core data processing pipelines. Some of our current challenges include: Simplifying the number of stages involved, reducing processing latency, and making it easier for others to add new measures and sources of data.
- Support new product and system development as the data partner. When we develop new products, you’ll be involved end-to-end, helping small, cross-disciplinary product engineering teams define and execute on the product’s measurement goals.
- Empower data-driven experimentation and decision-making. In a fast-moving environment where new opportunities are dreamed up daily, you’ll work closely with other engineers and data scientists to validate the best ones. You’ll implement on-the-fly A/B and multivariate testing of new consumer/client facing product features.
WE LOOK FOR TEAMMATES WHO HAVE:
- Experience designing and scaling data infrastructure, models, and pipelines in a production environment.
- Experience with and opinions about data infrastructure frameworks and toolkits. Right now, we make heavy use of Redshift, Pachyderm and BigQuery — but we are eager to learn more.
- Programming experience in Python or Go. You should be comfortable writing clean code that others can understand.
- Open and active in sharing knowledge as well as excellent communication skills.
WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH:
- James (or Jimmy) McGill, VP of Engineering: Hailing formerly from both Australia and Google, he spends his weekends hiking, surfing and designing and building furniture. See James for all of your Vegemite needs.
- Wilson Tsao, Analytics Manager: Wilson is a member of the Data Science team at Button. Previously he was in similar roles at Eventbrite, Yingli Solar, and Goldman Sachs. He enjoys playing and watching basketball in his spare time.
- Jiaqi Liu, Software Engineer: Jiaqi is Software Engineer at Button, responsible for several backend and data engineering projects. An avid Pythonista and a frequent speaker at conferences large and small, outside of work she loves to mentor at hackathons and organize meetups for Women Who Code.
Button is committed to being a welcoming and inclusive workplace for everyone, and we are intentional about making sure people feel respected, supported and connected at work—regardless of who you are or where you come from. We value and celebrate our differences and we believe being open about who we are allows us to do the best work of our lives.
Button is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate against qualified applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual preference, sexual identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law, rule, or regulation.