Head of Data
Engineering – Data Science
Button’s mission is to build a better way to do business in mobile. Today, we work with some of the largest and most interesting businesses in the world, to connect consumers with what they want at the tap of a button. We build with the consumer experience in mind, and we have a reputation for paving the future of mobile and enjoying the road to get there. Data is at the very core of proving we’re on the right track—and that's where you come in.
We’re looking for a Head of Data to lead one of the most exciting parts of our business. You will be responsible for our team of Data Scientists, Business Analysts, and Data Engineers, as both a people manager and technical lead. You will oversee the success of the data projects across areas of product development, analytics, business intelligence and data engineering, and represent the team's efforts and opportunities throughout the company.
AS HEAD OF DATA YOU WILL:
- Lead and grow Button's Data organization — a team of Data Scientists, Data Engineers, and Data Analysts — through dedicated mentorship, hiring, and career development.
- Lead technical ownership of the data stack. You will guide the team through challenging technical or analytic decisions, and bring a background of experience to inform and accelerate successful decision-making.
- Guide and shape the Data team's role within the company as our business evolves. We are a small team today, but we expect to grow, and data plays an ever-increasing role in our growth overall. You will have the vision and foresight to say when technical or organizational approaches need to be changed.
- Inform product development, both within the data team and with the broader Product Engineering organization. You'll ensure that key data projects and technical decisions are prioritized.
- Represent data efforts and initiatives in senior management forums and through collaboration with other teams and department leaders.
- Work closely with other Product Engineering leaders, e.g. planning and tracking sprint, quarterly and longer-term projects.
WE LOOK FOR TEAMMATES WHO HAVE:
- A plethora of experience working on data science, data engineering and data analytics projects. We'd love to hear about things you've built.
- Experience with a variety of data access, such as Redshift, APIs, S3 logs, SQL, queueing systems like SQS/SNS; and have opinions on where and when to use specific tools.
- Experience scaling a growing team responsible for a major data-driven product. We don't mind if you worked on a very different sort of business; we come from a diversity of backgrounds.
- Open and active in sharing knowledge as well as excellent communication skills.
- Programming experience in one or more application or systems languages like Python.
- Critical thinking, problem solving, and analytical skills. You will be a go-to technical / analytical reviewer and should be comfortable making contributions with the team.
WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH:
- Jiaqi Liu, Software Engineer: Jiaqi is Software Engineer at Button, responsible for several backend and data engineering projects. An avid Pythonista and a frequent speaker at conferences large and small, outside of work she loves to mentor at hackathons and organize meetups for Women Who Code.
- Sean Summers, Data Scientist. Sean works on all things data at Button, developing the machine learning algorithms that drive Button's contextual matching engine. Born and raised in California, Sean loves to travel the world with his family, often to Switzerland where he lived for 7 years before being deported.
- Leo Chiang, Data Scientist: Leo is a Data Scientist focused on Business Intelligence at Button. Prior to Button, Leo was a Lead Analyst at the DNC and led a data team at Everytown for Gun Safety. In his spare time, Leo listens to "a weird mix" of musical styles.
Button is committed to being a welcoming and inclusive workplace for everyone, and we are intentional about making sure people feel respected, supported and connected at work—regardless of who you are or where you come from. We value and celebrate our differences and we believe being open about who we are allows us to do the best work of our lives.
Button is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate against qualified applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual preference, sexual identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law, rule, or regulation.