Database Reliability Engineer
Engineering – Infrastructure
Button’s mission is to build a better way to do business in mobile. To do that, we're partnering with some of the largest and most interesting companies in the world to build rich and effortless commerce experiences at scale. We process billions of requests per month on systems built with a strong bias towards stability and reliability, yet balance this with a curiosity and willingness to experiment. We know that building a better future for mobile, one that doesn't depend on anachronistic banner ads to survive, is going to require a team of talented engineers that also believes that there must be a better way.
As a Database Reliability Engineer you will have previously managed several cloud based production databases, and bring scripting and automation experience to the role. You will have the opportunity to strengthen your coding skills by collaborating with our Infrastructure and Platform Engineering team. Your passion and expertise will help us to evolve our database practices to unlock the ability of the company to scale 5-10x that of today. Resources and leadership will be around you to help define projects and a roadmap that move the company forward.
We are an Infrastructure team that supports the Button environment and recognizes the need for deep expertise and enthusiasm to evolve to the next stage of the platform. You will embed on the infrastructure team and work day to day with DevOps engineers, platform engineers and security engineers.
AS A DATABASE RELIABILITY ENGINEER ON THE INFRASTRUCTURE TEAM YOU WILL:
- Install, configure, maintain and performance tune our database systems (cloud based or EC2 based). Knowledge and familiarity with AWS RDS is essential.
- Develop processes and automation for optimizing database security around our customers private and confidential information (e.g. access, secrets, encryption at rest).
- Create automation for repeating database tasks and deployments (such as migrations, replication, restoring backups and spinning up new clusters). Scripting is required, coding skills are looked upon highly.
- Diagnose and troubleshoot database errors, including participating in an on-call rotation and available for on-call support as needed.
- Work internally with and support our Data team and get exposure to Data Engineering and Data Science (Airflow, ETL, Spark), recommending or implementing emerging database technologies, tools and techniques.
WE ARE LOOKING FOR TEAMMATES WHO HAVE:
- The desire to evolve our data paradigm into new designs using NoSQL such as Cassandra, Aerospike or other alternatives.
- The ability to build, configure and manage clusters of relational and non-relational Databases.
- Knowledge and familiarity with Redshift, DynamoDB and other AWS services is strongly preferred. Familiarity with KV stores such as Redis will be beneficial.
- Python or Golang skills, or a strong desire to improve your coding ability.
WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH:
- James (or Jimmy) McGill, VP of Engineering: Hailing formerly from both Australia and Google, he spends his weekends hiking, surfing and designing and building furniture. See James for all of your Vegemite needs.
- Patrick Daly, Director of Infrastructure: Startup veteran, having worked in Sydney, San Francisco and the New York tech scenes for 10 years, find Patrick on the weekends hiking, reading, exploring the NYC restaurant, bar and music scene.
- Jon Winton, Senior DevOps Engineer: Jon is an Austin transplant who likes breakfast tacos. The only thing better than Infrastructure as code is his dog.
MORE ABOUT US:
- Button was founded in 2014. We’ve raised $65M in funding. Most recently we announced our $30M Series C in June 2019, led by Icon Ventures. Our investors include Norwest, Redpoint, Greycroft, DCM, and Capital One Ventures. We’re approximately 40 engineers and 120 people overall.
- We believe and invest in personal growth, and we’ve got the results to back it up. We’ve been recognized multiple times by Fortune, Inc., and Crain’s magazines as one of the best places to work in the US.
- We value diversity and come from all sorts of different backgrounds. Some of our teammates hail from big tech companies like Google; from financial giants like Bloomberg and MasterCard; and from previous startups like Chartbeat, Compass, and Blue Apron. We were especially proud the first time we hired a coding boot camp graduate.
Button is committed to being a welcoming and inclusive workplace for everyone, and we are intentional about making sure people feel respected, supported and connected at work—regardless of who you are or where you come from. We value and celebrate our differences and we believe being open about who we are allows us to do the best work of our lives.
Button is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate against qualified applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual preference, sexual identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law, rule, or regulation.