Software Engineer, Backend
Engineering – Platform
Button’s mission is to build a better way to do business in mobile. Today, we work with some of the largest and most interesting businesses in the world, to connect consumers with what they want at the tap of a button. We build with the consumer experience in mind, and we have a reputation for paving the future of mobile and enjoying the road to get there.
As a Software Engineer on our Platform team you’ll design and build the services, APIs and frameworks that sit at the very foundation of Button’s business. Our portfolio includes the programmatic interfaces that connect Button to many of the largest brands in e-commerce, and the real-time decisioning engine that ensures we’re able to provide the best offer to each customer.
Our Engineering team values a fast moving and high-trust environment that affords each member the opportunity to develop expertise operating services at meaningful scale in a distributed cloud environment. You’ll have exposure to a broad range of technologies, including Go, NodeJS, Docker, Prometheus and ECS. You’ll also move fast; we ship changes to production dozens of times each day.
AS A SOFTWARE ENGINEER ON THE PLATFORM TEAM YOU WILL:
- Develop scalable, low-latency web services using a variety of tools and languages, including Go, NodeJS, Docker and ECS.
- Collaborate with a cross-functional team to develop new features within our core platforms. You will work with product managers to translate user and partner requirements into technical designs, and with other Engineers to bring those designs to life with an emphasis on scalability, latency and accuracy.
- Deliver the APIs and programmatic interfaces that drive deep integrations between Button and our largest partners.
- Maintain a‘mystery-free’ production environment and keep the pagers quiet by implementing excellent monitoring, anticipating and planning for the unexpected.
WE LOOK FOR TEAMMATES WHO HAVE:
- A passion for building reliable and scalable backend services in a distributed environment, and an interest in exploring new technologies
- A strong understanding of relational databases, and experience building stateful web services.
- An excellent understanding of API design, and experience designing reliable RESTful APIs.
- Experience and comfort in a production environment. You’ll be working in a“magic-free” service-oriented environment, using AWS ECS, Docker, and HTTP everywhere.
WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH:
- Mike Wakerly, CTO: Mikey is Button’s Hawaiian shirt enthusiast and Chief Technology Officer. A former Googler and a San Francisco transplant, he loves mountain biking, tinkering on electronics, and any excuse to take a road trip.
- James (or Jimmy) McGill, VP of Engineering: Hailing formerly from both Australia and Google, he spends his weekends hiking, surfing and designing and building furniture. See James for all of your Vegemite needs.
- Jiaqi Liu, Software Engineer: Jiaqi is responsible for several backend and data engineering projects. An avid Pythonista and a frequent speaker at conferences large and small, outside of work she loves to mentor at hackathons and organize meet-ups for Women Who Code.
- Liwei Mao, Data Scientist: builds data pipelines, design controlled product experiments, and creates beautiful visualizations to present data collected at Button. She spends her free time searching for delicious food and reading in the sun.
Button is committed to being a welcoming and inclusive workplace for everyone, and we are intentional about making sure people feel respected, supported and connected at work—regardless of who you are or where you come from. We value and celebrate our differences and we believe being open about who we are allows us to do the best work of our lives.
Button is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate against qualified applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual preference, sexual identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law, rule, or regulation.