Engineering – Platform
Button’s mission is to build a better way to do business in mobile. To do that, we're partnering with some of the largest and most interesting companies in the world to build rich and effortless commerce experiences at scale. We process billions of requests per month on systems built with a strong bias towards stability and reliability, yet balance this with a curiosity and willingness to experiment. We know that building a better future for mobile, one that doesn't depend on anachronistic banner ads to survive, is going to require a team of talented engineers that also believes that there must be a better way.
Button operates a two-sided marketplace and until recently had a single engineering team explicitly focused on the health and growth of both sides. To meet the opportunity ahead of us, we needed to pair off a team solely concerned with a subset of that domain: the user’s journey from one app to another. Accordingly, the team has built-in scale and user impact while still being young and eager for invention.
As a Platform Engineer, no two days will be alike. Tasked with building the systems that serve our mobile clients and route users, some days you’ll update a server API or sketch a new data model for a nascent project. On others, you’ll quest off on an infrastructure improvement project or come up with a clever way we can run an A/B test in partnership with our data team. We’re bound by our devotion to a problem set, not a part of the stack, so you’ll thrive here if you find that variety stimulating and learning opportunity compelling.
AS A SOFTWARE ENGINEER YOU WILL:
- Solve problems and build product end-to-end, contributing to services, frontends, and data infrastructure as the task demands. That always includes testing, monitoring, and debugging what you ship.
- Be a co-owner of the team's software, actively advocating for clean up, improvements, and the long-term sustainability of our codebase.
- Collaborate with other engineers, product managers, and business stakeholders to arrive at globally optimal solutions that are best for Button and our partners in the long term.
WE ARE LOOKING FOR TEAMMATES WHO HAVE:
- Equal enthusiasm for writing a stateful service, building a web dashboard, or researching obscure browser nuances. We don’t expect you to know everything (we don’t), but we will expect you to bring a voracious appetite to learn what you need to be effective.
- Demonstrable expertise in at least one technical domain.
- Incredible attention to detail and rigor in their approach. Understanding, modeling, and containing complexity is a daily exercise for the team.
- Curiosity. The excitement and intuition to pull on a thread.
YOU WILL WORK WITH:
- Will Myers, Software Engineer: Writes software for Button while he waits to hear back from NASA about his astronaut application. He's bullish on pure functions, immutable data, and comics with dinosaurs in them.
- Sean Summers, Data Scientist: Sean works on all things data at Button, developing the machine learning algorithms that drive Button's contextual matching engine. Born and raised in California, Sean loves to travel the world with his family, often to Switzerland where he lived for 7 years before being deported.
- Jiaqi Liu, Software Engineer: is responsible for several backend and data engineering projects. An avid Pythonista and a frequent speaker at conferences large and small, outside of work she loves to mentor at hackathons and organize meet-ups for Women Who Code.
- James (or Jimmy) McGill, VP of Engineering: Hailing formerly from both Australia and Google, he spends his weekends hiking, surfing and designing and building furniture. See James for all of your Vegemite needs.
Button is committed to being a welcoming and inclusive workplace for everyone, and we are intentional about making sure people feel respected, supported and connected at work—regardless of who you are or where you come from. We value and celebrate our differences and we believe being open about who we are allows us to do the best work of our lives.
Button is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate against qualified applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual preference, sexual identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law, rule, or regulation.