Software Engineer in Test
Engineering – Mobile
Working at Button is one of the most fun, fulfilling, and challenging experiences you'll have - and it's one of the reasons why we were voted one of the best places to work in NYC.
Button is a marketplace for mobile apps. We power applications and customer experiences that touch hundreds of millions of users, and our backends process over a billion requests per month. We’ve built our reputation on reliability and innovation, and build a QA environment(e.g. software, design systems, etc) with a focus on scalability, and reliability.
As Button has grown, the number of experiences we support has also grown. And although Button's technology is embedded in our partner's applications, we spend a lot of time making sure those launches go off without a hitch. That's where this role comes in.
As a Software Engineer in Test, you'll be responsible for executing manual regression tests against a wide variety of partner applications and product experiences. Your mission will be to ensure our partners never discover an issue in the field that we could have discovered through testing.
Working in close partnership with our QA Lead, you will flag critical issues and be a key part of our go/no-go process. You will also have many opportunities to improve the testing process itself and your feedback will help shape the future of test automation at Button.
AS A SOFTWARE ENGINEER IN TEST YOU WILL:
- Write and review test procedures and test cases for applications running our Mobile SDK.
- Perform functional and performance tests for a variety of mobile applications. We would with many of the biggest names in mobile; you'll be testing and finding bugs in apps you may already be using!
- Execute regression testing for product launches, and support background tests of existing, already-launched partnerships.
- Monitor user and partner feedback and problems, log status reports, and create defect tickets to address issues. You will isolate, recreate, report bugs, and verify fixes through our bug tracking and testcase management systems.
- Partner with Engineering, Product, and Partner Support teams to help reproduce and diagnose issues.
- Recommend new tools and innovations to increase QA performance and efficiency, enabling Button's technology to scale faster than headcount through automation.
WE LOOK FOR TEAMMATES WHO HAVE:
- Experience in testing mobile apps. Ideally, you have worked with ADB, XCode, Charles Proxy, JIRA, TestRail, or similar tools.
- Great communication and organizational skills. You will operate with help and mentorship, but will have broad autonomy.
- A passion for delivering high quality products in an agile environment. We deploy our infrastructure continuously, and release new mobile products on a two-week cycle.
- The ability to coherently and succinctly present QA findings. Your work will ensure everyone understands the pro’s and con’s when making a go/no-go release decision.
- A passion for quality. You can explain the difference between QA and Testing.
- A demonstrated ability for thinking outside the box in QA. You show a curiosity and creative approach to looking for faults and investigating problems. You have problem-solving skills like MacGyver.
- An ability to adapt in a fast-moving and sometimes ambiguous environment. While most of your responsibilities will be predictable, you're equally interested in taking on new or unfamiliar initiatives.
AS A COMPANY WE BELIEVE IN:
- Quality Assurance is a continuous process involving ideas and input from all team members during all phases of the life cycle.
- In a fast growing environment like Button, where most partners are relying on our services and integrations running flawlessly, we need to continuously monitor our quality and user experiences we provide.
- Our team is not just here to provide testing and automation services, but to also foster a culture of attention to quality at all phases of product development.
WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH:
- Vivek Nyayapathi, Lead Software Engineer in Test: Strong believer in delivering a quality product and maintaining continuous quality across all customer facing products. Outside of QA world you can find me making experimental music and DJ’ing at festivals.
- Anna Riabykh, Software Engineer in Test:Detail oriented SDET who has a willingness to learn new skills and cares about process improvements. Hailing from the Bay Area, Anna spends her free time cooking.
- Chuck Greb, Engineering Manager: Passionate about building dev tools that increase developer and user happiness. Outside of the office Chuck can often be found speaking at conferences or playing music, either in New York or West Africa.
Button is committed to being a welcoming and inclusive workplace for everyone, and we are intentional about making sure people feel respected, supported and connected at work—regardless of who you are or where you come from. We value and celebrate our differences and we believe being open about who we are allows us to do the best work of our lives.
Button is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate against qualified applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual preference, sexual identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law, rule, or regulation.