Backend Engineer for Bioinformatics Data & Software
San Carlos, California /
Hybrid or Remote (Full-time)
At Cache DNA, we have one ambitious mission: to make data widely accessible and useful by providing the best format for storing biomolecules in the world. We believe that DNA and RNA are the modern bits, so we're bringing together hardware, software, and biochemistry to develop the first wet operating system for storing, accessing, and computing nucleic acids at scale.
You are interested in the intersection of molecular biology, computer science, and chemistry and are eager to help us leverage tools from these areas to create the future of computing.
We are rebuilding the backbone of precision medicine, and we are looking for experienced software engineers with a track record of developing products that scale. As one of the early builders of Cache, you’ll have a direct and lasting impact on what we’re building while also learning emerging technologies in the biotechnology space.
Together, we will build and validate new processes that will enable the future of biological computing.
- Developing minimum viable product for handling multi-omic/sequencing data with academic and commercial stakeholders
- Design and implement effective database solutions and models to store and retrieve information, integrating with other software solutions accordingly
- You will frequently operate at the leading edge of technology and provide leadership to define specifications for significant new projects and design and develop solutions according to those specifications
- Examine and identify database structural necessities by evaluating client operations, applications, and programming. Recommend and justify major changes to existing data storage products/services/processes.
- You will be involved in running the complex projects, including management of project timelines, deliverables, and resources during all project phases, from requirements gathering through go-live and project close out.
- B.S. in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Bioinformatics or a related field
- At least 3 years identifying and documenting process requirements, developing process flow analysis, data modeling, functional design experience, and creating project plans
- Experience with database solutions applicable to AWS/Azure (or other cloud providers) and on-prem computing environments
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to manage teams internally and externally
- Strong project management skills and track record of successfully building technology-based solutions
- At least 5 years of software engineering or related industry experience
- Experience dealing with privacy and security for health-related data
- Has worked in the field of genomics or biotechnology with an interest in laboratory automation and life science tools
- Experience in using different database types, including relational and NoSQL databases
- Strong math and analytical skills
This might be a good fit for you if you...
- Are hoping to join the leadership of an early stage deeptech company
- Are passionate about learning and trying new technologies at the intersection of biology, chemistry, and computer science
- Have a keen eye for detail and like to build
- Like working with small teams
- Have a sharp focus on getting things done, troubleshoot challenges in startups as they arise, and can thrive on uncertainty in an ever-changing and fast-paced environment
Cache DNA is an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce. Compensation is commensurate with experience.