Mechanical Design Engineer
San Francisco Bay Area
ABOUT CAFE X
We augment human productivity and happiness through automation.
For many people, coffee is a daily ritual that sets the tone for the rest of their day. Cafe X offers consistent, premium quality at affordable prices by designing, manufacturing, and operating robotic coffee bars that serve specialty coffee precisely brewed to the roaster’s specifications.
By automating the mechanical aspects of making coffee, our robots enable our Coffee Bar Specialists to focus on delivering a superior customer experience, setting the standard for human-robot collaboration in hospitality, one cup of coffee at a time.
Backed by Craft Ventures, Khosla Ventures, Social Capital, Felicis Ventures, and The LAUNCH Fund, Cafe X is rapidly growing the founding team to launch more locations, scale manufacturing, and develop next-generation products.
Currently, we operate three San Francisco locations: The Metreon, 578 Market Street and One Bush Plaza. We support our communities by partnering with local roasters such as Equator, Ritual and Intelligentsia, highlighting the Bay Area’s best coffee beans.
We’re looking for diverse, pragmatic, and talented individuals who take initiative, remain humble, and aren’t afraid to get their hands (literally) dirty.
Automation with a human touch. Join us.
As a Mechanical Design Engineer at Cafe X, you will work on our next generation Robotic Café system and accessory products. You'll be a founding member of the in-house hardware engineering team that will work with our industrial design, software engineering, coffee business operations and manufacturing teams.
Our Robotic Café system involves a multitude of engineering disciplines including industrial automation, commercial appliances, machinery and more. You will be responsible for design and validation of the entire Robotic Café system, leading design on areas such as the internal structure, exterior cladding, door systems, interior systems, component packaging, and custom electromechanical assemblies.
- Design in Solidworks
- Review current product and implement improvements/revisions
- Develop custom modules for preparing and serving coffee and food
- Work with industrial design to implement design requirements
- Machine component selection
- Produce 2D GD&T drawings
- Deep knowledge of applicable manufacturing processes, materials and cosmetic finishes
- Design to meet NSF sanitation standards
- 3+ years experience in mechanical design engineer
- 5+ years using Solidworks or similar software
- Experience in designing large machinery, home appliances, automotive exteriors and trim and/or large functional furniture
- Experience with writing technical documentation
- Experience going through DFM process for at least one complete product lifecycle
- FEA/CFD for thermal analysis and structural integrity
- Excellent communication skills
- Mission driven
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.