New York, NY
Callisto Media was inspired by a single, transformational idea: harness the power of big data to produce timely content that enables consumers to lead richer, healthier, more fulfilled lives.
With deep roots in technology and publishing, Callisto Media harnesses the disruptive power of Big Data, creating unparalleled insights into consumer demand and the science of content. Our titles uniquely serve the needs of the reader, enjoy consistent profitability, and delve into the long tail of opportunity.
We have an enterprising, collaborative culture and are backed by leading Silicon Valley venture capitalists. We use proprietary technology to identify and meet consumer demand by delivering timely content in sync with the market. We’re an intellectually curious team made up of driven analysts, editors, designers, marketers, and engineers based in the Bay Area and New York City who are aggressively expanding the breadth and depth of our portfolio in cooking, specialty diet, health and wellness, mind, body and spirit, parenting, kids, business and more.
The Senior Director of Editorial at Callisto Media is responsible for the daily operation of the New York, New York Editorial Department; this includes the production of 300+ books per year, from start to completion, oversight of editorial workflow, management of growing team, and growth of product. The Senior Director of Editorial will manage the growth and production of the editorial team and develop resources to support an aggressive increase in high quality product output. The Senior Director of Editorial will be responsible for ensuring maximum team productivity and engagement.
A successful candidate will be an entrepreneurial-minded senior executive with an innovative strategic perspective, rigorous analytical skills, and at least 15+ years of demonstrated success in developing industry-leading operational performance. Candidate must have proven track record as a creative and operational leader, including managing editorial production in a fast-paced working environment, mentoring editorial staff, and optimizing performance and productivity as the organization scales. Expert skills in recruiting and managing freelancers and in-house staff, an extensive network of creative resources, as well as a proven history of collaborating successfully with in-house Design, Sales, and Marketing teams are a minimum requirement.
Production and Workflow Management
- Work cross-departmentally to scale title production and successfully lead the Editorial team through this hyper growth stage
- Monitor daily production and ensure consistent and timely completion of deliverables
- Continually optimize and streamline production and cross-departmental workflow
- Manage and scale an active and growing freelance network
Performance and Quality Management
- Ensure high quality product output at scale
- Reinforce adherence to timelines and processes
Leadership and Communication
- Facilitate Editorial communication and partnership with in-house teams
- Champion and engage company culture
- Effectively communicate company goals and KPIs to key stakeholders
Desired Skills & Experience
- 15+ years of editorial direction and operational management experience
- Highly adaptable leader who is capable of delivering consistently great results in rapidly changing environments
- Expert in building and leveraging capabilities for competitive advantage and increased profitability
- Known for transparent and collaborative leadership style, exceptional ability to recruit top talent, and passionate about developing high-performance teams
- Expertise in developing and adhering to rigorous, process-oriented editorial and production workflows
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, with a strong orientation toward data-driven decision making
- Adaptability in a fast-paced and dynamic startup environment
- Extensive experience building and managing large teams (75+ members) and a high volume of product (300+ title per year)
- A direct and dedicated leader who drives company priorities and leads teams to seek creative solutions and work toward a shared vision
We have a proven track record of expertly blending art with data science to publish timely books that readers want to consumer. We help writers become authors. We advance self published authors become more successful to enhance their reputation and enrich their careers.
Join us! We are a team where data drives our decisions. Where culture matters. We put our customers first and they embody our core values. We’re entrepreneurial and focused in our approach. We challenge each employee to experiment and drive results while feeling empowered to do their best work each and every day.
Callisto Media offers a competitive salary, full benefits, 401k, stock options, and a friendly working environment. This is a full-time, onsite position.