New York, NY
Callisto Media was inspired by a single, transformational idea: harness the power of big data to produce timely content that enables consumers to lead richer, healthier, more fulfilled lives.
With deep roots in technology and publishing, Callisto Media harnesses the disruptive power of Big Data, creating unparalleled insights into consumer demand and the science of content. Our titles uniquely serve the needs of the reader, enjoy consistent profitability, and delve into the long tail of opportunity.
We have an enterprising, collaborative culture and are backed by leading Silicon Valley venture capitalists. We use proprietary technology to identify and meet consumer demand by delivering timely content in sync with the market. We’re an intellectually curious team made up of driven analysts, editors, designers, marketers, and engineers based in the Bay Area and New York City who are aggressively expanding the breadth and depth of our portfolio in cooking, specialty diet, health and wellness, mind, body and spirit, parenting, kids, business and more.
Callisto Media is seeking a talented full-time Editor.
The Editor position is an exciting opportunity to be a part of a growing team based in New York City. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 5 years of experience in book publishing or digital media and the demonstrated ability to work with writers and editors to develop strong book-length content in the categories mentioned above. A network of freelance development editors is a plus.
You will be responsible for the development and project management of approximately 6 to 10 books simultaneously with a 3 to 4 month production cycle from concept to final files. You should have editorial and project management experience with books or online content, a proven ability to publish quality products on time and within budget, and be a highly motivated and ultra-organized person.
What Qualifies You:
- An impressive understanding of content development and the editorial and marketing factors that allow books to succeed in an online marketplace
- Experience working with authors to develop and edit book-length manuscripts and a deep understanding of the book publishing process
- Proven project management ability, including experience managing freelancers and working on a high volume of projects
- Ability to multitask, prioritize workload, and follow up independently so you can deliver on tight deadlines
- Eagerness to work in a fast-moving startup environment and collaborate with others on innovative new processes
- Being a self-starter with a strong sense of curiosity
What You'll Do:
- Oversee the day-to-day development and production of 6 to 10 titles simultaneously from outline through final files.
- Work with authors and development editors to execute the vision for each book
- Hire and manage freelance development editors
- Ensure projects stay on time and within budget
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a related field
- Minimum 5 years of editorial experience in book publishing or digital media
- Demonstrated ability to work with writers and editors to develop strong, compelling content
- Experience managing a high volume of freelancers
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Impeccable writing and editing skills
- Self-motivated and possess the ability to meet aggressive production deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work efficiently and thrive in a fast-paced, high-volume startup environment
- Proven ability to work independently and collaborate freely with coworkers
- Quick-turn publication experience is ideal but not required
- Comfortable working with teams remotely
We have a proven track record of expertly blending art with data science to publish timely books that readers want to consumer. We help writers become authors. We advance self published authors become more successful to enhance their reputation and enrich their careers.
Join us! We are a team where data drives our decisions. Where culture matters. We put our customers first and they embody our core values. We’re entrepreneurial and focused in our approach. We challenge each employee to experiment and drive results while feeling empowered to do their best work each and every day.
Callisto Media offers a competitive salary, full benefits, 401k, stock options, and a friendly working environment. This is a full-time, onsite position.