Callisto Media was inspired by a single, transformational idea: harness the power of big data to produce timely content that enables consumers to lead richer, healthier, more fulfilled lives.
With deep roots in technology and publishing, Callisto Media harnesses the disruptive power of Big Data, creating unparalleled insights into consumer demand and the science of content. Our titles uniquely serve the needs of the reader, enjoy consistent profitability, and delve into the long tail of opportunity.
We have an enterprising, collaborative culture and are backed by leading Silicon Valley venture capitalists. We use proprietary technology to identify and meet consumer demand by delivering timely content in sync with the market. We’re an intellectually curious team made up of driven analysts, editors, designers, marketers, and engineers based in the Bay Area and New York City who are aggressively expanding the breadth and depth of our portfolio in cooking, specialty diet, health and wellness, mind, body and spirit, parenting, kids, business and more.
The ideal candidate will have at least 5 years of experience in book publishing or digital media and the demonstrated ability to work with editors and freelancers to develop strong book-length content in the categories mentioned above.
You will be responsible for the production and project management of approximately 12 to 15 books simultaneously with a very quick production cycle from concept to final files. You should have editorial and project management experience with books or online content, a proven ability to publish quality products on time and within budget, and be a highly motivated and ultra-organized person. Join us as we further disrupt the publishing world!
- Manages editorial production of nonfiction titles from copy editing through bound book and eBook production.
- Hire and supervise freelance copy editors, proofreaders, and indexers and review their work and enforce standards of quality
- Reviews and edits page proofs at every stage of production
- Work closely with editorial, design, and production departments to solve problems and maintain schedules
- Works with editors, designers, and production managers in anticipating and resolving problems
- Copy edits and proofreads back cover copy and cover mechanicals
- Coordinates schedules with freelancers, editors, and production and maintains deadlines
- Handles multiple projects while maintaining high standards of quality control and managing tight production schedules
- Provides backup for the editorial department as needed
- Minimum of five years in book publishing, preferably in production editorial or managing editorial
- Demonstrated success meeting deadlines in a fast-paced, multi-project environment
- Excellent copyediting and proofreading skills; knowledge of Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary and The Chicago Manual of Style
- Scrupulous attention to detail
- Impeccable organizational and time management skills
- Proven ability to work well under pressure in a deadline-driven environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word (including the “track changes” editing function), Adobe Acrobat, and strong knowledge of manuscript coding
- Ability to quickly adopt new technological platforms and systems
- Must interact well with colleagues of all levels from various departments
- Self-driven, passionate about publishing, and uncompromising when it comes to excellence
We have a proven track record of expertly blending art with data science to publish timely books that readers want to consumer. We help writers become authors. We advance self published authors become more successful to enhance their reputation and enrich their careers.
Join us! We are a team where data drives our decisions. Where culture matters. We put our customers first and they embody our core values. We’re entrepreneurial and focused in our approach. We challenge each employee to experiment and drive results while feeling empowered to do their best work each and every day.
Callisto Media offers a competitive salary, full benefits, 401k, stock options, and a friendly working environment. This is a full-time, onsite position.