Associate Art Director
New York, NY
Callisto Media was inspired by a single, transformational idea: harness the power of big data to produce timely content that enables consumers to lead richer, healthier, more fulfilled lives.
With deep roots in technology and publishing, Callisto Media harnesses the disruptive power of Big Data, creating unparalleled insights into consumer demand and the science of content. Our titles uniquely serve the needs of the reader, enjoy consistent profitability, and delve into the long tail of opportunity.
We have an enterprising, collaborative culture and are backed by leading Silicon Valley venture capitalists. We use proprietary technology to identify and meet consumer demand by delivering timely content in sync with the market. We’re an intellectually curious team made up of driven analysts, editors, designers, marketers, and engineers based in the Bay Area and New York City who are aggressively expanding the breadth and depth of our portfolio in cooking, specialty diet, health and wellness, mind, body and spirit, parenting, kids, business and more.
The Associate Art Director at Callisto Media reports to the Senior Director, Design and is responsible for supporting Art Directors and Senior Art Directors and creating cover and interior designs for our books, including specifying illustration, partnering with the Photo Art Director to allocate photography, and working with the Operations Department to keep projects on schedule. Additionally, the Associate Art Director provides support in implementing Design Department initiatives. The ideal candidate has proven experience creating creating 4-color books in a Trade publishing environment, solid skills in prioritizing projects and time management, as well as an established track record in collaborating successfully with in-house Editorial, Sales, and Marketing teams. Please view a sample of our work at the following link: https://indd.adobe.com/view/4b1e4d39-d976-4bf5-8911-c6164bd3b80d
- Adapt existing book templates to create dynamic book designs that uphold the standards and meet the objectives of Callisto publishing
- Create dynamic new book designs and templates
- Create marketing materials and assets
- Collaborate closely with the Editorial and Operations teams on book production
- Produce cover mechanicals and print-ready files
- Assist in allocating and managing illustration and photography
- Help manage Page Compositors and review composed pages
- Adhere to fast-paced schedules and deadlines while upholding high design quality standards
- Provide support on additional production, design, and administrative tasks for Art Directors, Senior Art Directors and Design group
Desired Skills and Experience
- At least 3 years art direction/design experience
- Proven experience in book design, preferably in Trade publishing
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, with a great attention to detail
- Extensive knowledge of typography and proper typesetting conventions
- Superior organizational skills with ability to multi-task, prioritize assignments, and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to take initiative while working collaboratively
- Adaptability in a fast-paced and dynamic startup environment
- Expert proficiency in Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or equivalent education and experience
- ebook design and production skills a plus
Join us! We are a team where data drives our decisions. Where culture matters. We put our customers first and they embody our core values. We’re entrepreneurial and focused in our approach. We challenge each employee to experiment and drive results while feeling empowered to do their best work each and every day.
Callisto Media offers a competitive salary, full benefits, 401k, stock options, for full-time employees, as well as a friendly working environment. This is a full-time, onsite position.