Emeryville, CA /
We combine the power of Big Data, technology, and lean economics. We discover the information people are searching for and provide it. We help transform lives.
Callisto will be unmatched in providing products, services, and experiences to a diverse universe. From mainstream populations to groups that traditional companies believe are too small or economically unfeasible to address, we will meet their needs.
Today, we’re the fastest growing company in the $106 billion global publishing industry, and our primary method for meeting peoples’ needs is through long-form content in books. But creating books for them is only the beginning.
The Production Designer at Callisto Media reports to the Supervisor, Production Design and is responsible for providing support in managing production tasks for books and related collateral in our high-volume title production publishing group. The Production Designer facilitates design production workflow, performs complex page composition and corrections, sets up printer-ready files, creates Sales and Marketing materials, provides simple illustration and photography support, and works closely with the Design Department and our various partners.
The ideal candidate is a dedicated executional powerhouse, is high-energy and detail-oriented, and has proven skills in managing complex production tasks in a trade publishing, magazine, design, or advertising agency environment. An established track record in collaborating successfully with cross-functional teams is required.
- Help define and facilitate process for partnering with and supporting Art Directors on the Design team
- Quickly, accurately, and efficiently perform complex page composition and corrections in Adobe InDesign
- Accurately use preset templates for interior book layouts
- Set up mockups, cover mechanicals, and other print-ready files
- Create Sales and Marketing materials
- Perform simple illustration and photo retouching tasks
- Coordinate closely with internal partners to ensure creative intent
- Adhere to tight schedules and help uphold high design quality standards
- Provide support on additional design and administrative tasks
Desired Skills and Experience
- At least 3 years design production experience in a high-volume creative environment
- Mastery of InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Acrobat
- Extensive knowledge of typography and proper typesetting conventions
- Simple photography and illustration capabilities
- Knowledge of print production process
- Sharp eye for quality and consistency
- Proactive mindset
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, with a great attention to detail
- Superior organizational skills with ability to multi-task, prioritize assignments, and meet tight deadlines
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to take initiative while working collaboratively
- Adaptability in a fast-paced and dynamic startup environment
- Bachelor’s degree in design, or equivalent education and experience
Please submit a resume, digital samples of your work or your online portfolio, salary expectations, and a cover letter describing why you are an ideal candidate.
Join us! We are a team where data drives our decisions. Where culture matters. We put our customers first and they embody our core values. We’re entrepreneurial and focused in our approach. We challenge each employee to experiment and drive results while feeling empowered to do their best work each and every day.
Callisto Media offers a competitive salary, full benefits, 401k, stock options, for full-time employees, as well as a friendly working environment. This is a full-time, onsite position.