Foreign Rights Manager
Callisto Media was inspired by a single, transformational idea: harness the power of big data to produce timely content that enables consumers to lead richer, healthier, more fulfilled lives.
With deep roots in technology and publishing, Callisto Media harnesses the disruptive power of Big Data, creating unparalleled insights into consumer demand and the science of content. Our titles uniquely serve the needs of the reader, enjoy consistent profitability, and delve into the long tail of opportunity.
We have an enterprising, collaborative culture and are backed by leading Silicon Valley venture capitalists. We use proprietary technology to identify and meet consumer demand by delivering timely content in sync with the market. We’re an intellectually curious team made up of driven analysts, editors, designers, marketers, and engineers based in the Bay Area and New York City who are aggressively expanding the breadth and depth of our portfolio in cooking, specialty diet, health and wellness, mind, body and spirit, parenting, kids, business and more.
We are looking for an experienced and highly motivated Foreign Rights Manager to work in the Rights Department at Callisto Media in Emeryville, CA. This role reports to the Senior Rights Director.
Our ideal candidate will have a minimum of 5 years experience working in a foreign rights department either at an entertainment, technology, media, publishing or an agency with experience in prescriptive nonfiction a plus. You should have proven experience negotiating licensing deals, drafting contracts, enjoy working in a team, as well as being able to handle a high volume of independent projects. Knowledge of a foreign language is helpful but not necessary.
This role involves sourcing and negotiating deals primarily but not exclusively in the following territories: France, Italy, Japan, Middle East, Eastern Europe and smaller territories around the world.
Foreign Rights Sales and Promotion
· Deliver monthly, quarterly and annual licensing budget. Use market data and analysis to source and maintaining successful commercial relationships with foreign publishers and media enterprises.
· Develop positive relationships with foreign publishers and agents based on trust, speed and reliability offering exceptional customer service. Maintain regular contact, demonstrate outstanding market and product knowledge and negotiate the best possible terms across all components of a licensing deal.
· Ensure that the Callisto Media offers maximum promotion and opportunities for all titles by keeping foreign publishers and agents up to date regarding new releases, weekly US point of sale data, translation rights sales, reviews and related information including news on topics germane to the portfolio of rights content you will be selling.
Contracts, Accounts and Systems
· Draft contracts, negotiate terms and keep track of contracts following deal negotiations.
· Invoice for negotiated advance payments and fees once terms have been agreed with publishers; liaise with the accounting department to ensure payments are collected as per the terms of the agreement
· Ensure contracts are accurately administered and recorded and can be quickly accessed. Maintain and update contacts and leads & deals records.
· Monitor and approve foreign publishers’ statements of licensing proceeds
· Send reversion of rights letters when required and follow up for responses.
· Understand the tax implications for foreign deals in each market
Office and Department Administration
· Arrange schedule and appointments with qualified prospects and customers for approved foreign trips and industry events including travel & accommodation.
· Work closely with Senior Rights Director to optimize licensing opportunities, assess the opportunity space market by market and manage appropriate follow up including territory by territory product grids to track licensing penetration.
· General administrative tasks including but not limited to: maintaining manual and digital filing system and records, tracking deals through the life of a product and produce trending and plan vs actual reports on a continuous basis.
· Any other duties as reasonably requested by your manager.
Essential skills required:
· Confidence and proven track record in negotiating and finalizing deals.
· A positive, can-do attitude, ability to manage a heavy and varied workload and to prioritize when necessary.
· Excellent attention to detail, particularly when dealing with negotiations and contracts.
· Ability to write compelling copy concerning new releases for the Callisto Media Rights newsletters and digital catalogs.
· Excellent communication, writing and presentation skills; ability to deal effectively with colleagues, and be appropriately attentive to foreign clients and agents.
· Confidence with cloud-based Google powered IT infrastructure, as well as traditional systems like PP, Word and Excel. Unafraid of using new computer systems.
· Meticulous record-keeping. Confident to establish and implement new systems.
· Ability to work calmly under pressure and to tight deadlines, without compromising on quality.
Join us! We are a team where data drives our decisions. Where culture matters. We put our customers first and they embody our core values. We’re entrepreneurial and focused in our approach. We challenge each employee to experiment and drive results while feeling empowered to do their best work each and every day.
Callisto Media offers a competitive salary, full benefits, 401k, stock options, for full-time employees, as well as a friendly working environment. This is a full-time, onsite position.