Software Engineer — Data
Calm is best known as a meditation, sleep and mental wellness app, available in both the App Store and Google Play store. It is the #1 app for meditation and sleep, with over 36 million downloads to date.
Calm was named by Apple as the 2017 iPhone App of the Year; by Google Play as an “Editors’ Choice” in 2018; and found by a major study of 200,000 iPhone users to be “the world’s happiest app” – the single app that left users feeling happiest from spending time on it. It has received over 200,000 five star app reviews on either Google Play or the App Store.
Our mission is to make the world happier and healthier by developing a range of digital and physical products that enhance mental fitness and alleviate some of the most important mental health issues of the modern age (anxiety, depression, insomnia and stress).
Calm was co-founded by Alex Tew (Million Dollar Homepage) and Michael Acton Smith (Mind Candy, Moshi Monsters, Firebox).
A word from the Hiring Manager:“Over the past year, we have had a tremendous influx in data, which is arriving from more sources, being consumed by more team members for decision making, and used in more data products. We ingest and process the data with state-of-the-art tools and methods, but ensuring that we store and serve quality data, that accurately reflects reality, is an extremely important and ongoing challenge. In this role, you’ll not only write code to test data integrity, but you will own and lead the development of the process and codebase around data quality testing. We are looking for someone that can become a thought leader in this space and make a major impact on Calm.“
What You'll Do
- Own our analytics infrastructure, including our Redshift data warehouse and our data integrations such as Amplitude, Iterable, and AppsFlyer
- Own our data infrastructure and storage solutions, from Redshift and our third-party ETL solutions to our PostgreSQL database
- Work with your fellow engineers to give them tools to leverage our data systems through documentation and knowledge sharing
- Work with product and marketing to assess their needs and create solutions that allow us to make critical decisions
Who You Are
- SQL ninja with strong computer science fundamentals, an understanding of systems, and data engineering expertise
- Former backend or platform engineer with experience writing application code and data pipelines for at least 3 years total
- Polyglot with experience using Python and NodeJS in production environments
- Database expert with experience managing PostgreSQL and Redshift at scale
- Scrappy engineer happy to dive into any codebase necessary to solve a problem
- Competitive salary and equity
- Unlimited PTO
- We pay your medical, dental, & vision insurance premiums
- Commuter benefits
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Apple equipment
- Fun, energetic work environment, and daily perks - snacks, drinks, catered lunch twice a week
- Opportunity to work with a product focused on making the world happier and healthier
And much more!