Senior Frontend Engineer
Calm is best known as a meditation, sleep and mental wellness app, available in both the App Store and Google Play store. It is the #1 app for meditation and sleep, with over 36 million downloads to date.
Calm was named by Apple as the 2017 iPhone App of the Year; by Google Play as an “Editors’ Choice” in 2018; and found by a major study of 200,000 iPhone users to be “the world’s happiest app” – the single app that left users feeling happiest from spending time on it. It has received over 200,000 five star app reviews on either Google Play or the App Store.
Our mission is to make the world happier and healthier by developing a range of digital and physical products that enhance mental fitness and alleviate some of the most important mental health issues of the modern age (anxiety, depression, insomnia and stress).
Calm was co-founded by Alex Tew (Million Dollar Homepage) and Michael Acton Smith (Mind Candy, Moshi Monsters, Firebox).
We're looking to hire an awesome engineer to lead development of our website, calm.com. Ideally you're a generalist with a passion for the frontend and great eye for beautiful designs and interfaces, you have a CS degree and lots of experience shipping products to end users. As lead engineer on the website you'd get to decide what technologies are appropriate going forward, and have a huge amount of influence over both the technology and product direction of the website. Your influence will extend beyond just the website though, and as an early engineer at Calm you'll get to have a huge impact on the company.
The website is currently built on NodeJS, Babel and React. It'd be bonus if you were also able to jump into other parts of our system, including our Coffeescript API, PostgreSQL DB, AWS infrastructure and iOS and Android clients.
You'll be based in our office in downtown San Francisco.
Note from the Hiring Manager:
"You'll be joining the Calm team at an incredibly exciting time of growth and have the opportunity to make major contributions in the way the web experience is architected and designed. We're in the process of building an improved web interface that is more performant, offers a multitude of new features, and is easier to navigate. We're looking for people that can use their expertise to deliver an incredible experience and help in a variety of areas such as improving UX, performance optimization, improving SEO, and writing maintainable code. This is your chance to join a small and nimble team and make a big contribution on a product that millions of people enjoy and use to lead happier and healthier lives!"
What You'll Do:
- Develop, test, deploy, maintain and improve all front-end technologies with attention to visual and interaction details
- Collaborate with engineers, product-owners, and QA on meeting deployment deadlines
- Contribute to everything from code architecture to product features to visual design.
Who You Are:
- 3-5+ years software engineering experience, with 2+ years focused on frontend
- Knowledge of current trends and best practices in frontend architecture (performance, accessibility, security and usability).
- Competitive salary and equity
- Unlimited PTO
- We pay your medical, dental, & vision insurance premiums
- Commuter benefits
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Apple equipment
- Fun, energetic work environment, and daily perks - snacks, drinks, catered lunch twice a week
- Opportunity to work with a product focused on making the world happier and healthier
And much more!