Software Engineer - API
Calm is best known as a meditation, sleep and mental wellness app, available in both the App Store and Google Play store. It is the #1 app for meditation and sleep, with over 36 million downloads to date.
Calm was named by Apple as the 2017 iPhone App of the Year; by Google Play as an “Editors’ Choice” in 2018; and found by a major study of 200,000 iPhone users to be “the world’s happiest app” – the single app that left users feeling happiest from spending time on it. It has received over 200,000 five star app reviews on either Google Play or the App Store.
Our mission is to make the world happier and healthier by developing a range of digital and physical products that enhance mental fitness and alleviate some of the most important mental health issues of the modern age (anxiety, depression, insomnia and stress).
Calm was co-founded by Alex Tew (Million Dollar Homepage) and Michael Acton Smith (Mind Candy, Moshi Monsters, Firebox).
Calm is the #1 Health and Fitness App in the world, and we're at an inflection point in our growth curve. Our systems are built on a modern stack, our team is hungry, and we're looking for specialized generalists who can competently and calmly take on the hardest problems in computer science. Passion and vision underpins our engineers, as does solving problems around scaling at pace. Our vision is to build Calm into one of the most valuable and meaningful brands of the 21st Century – “The Nike of the Mind.”
A word from the Hiring Manager:
“As a core member of the Product Team you will be crucial in every step of the product development process from scoping to delivery. As our API and systems expert we’ll love hearing about concepts and constraints that you can ultimately improve upon. You’ll be invigorated by the idea of taking ownership of our API from planning and executing to fixing API originated user-facing bugs. Calm is the best place I’ve ever worked, and I can’t wait to tell you more.”
Who You Are
- Who You Are
- Enthusiastic problem solver with a great understanding of computer science and systems
- Fast learner experienced with API integrations and happy to dive into documentation to interact with a new system
- Great product sense and open minded while brainstorming with team members
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Empathetic to team members and enjoy helping other members on the team because you care
- Balances scrappiness and rigor to get a task done
- Experience solving the hard problems in API development such as backwards compatibility, cross-platform support, and security
- Comfortable with tools such as AWS, Linux, Git, Jenkins
- 3+ years of delivering high quality software
- 2+ years of API development and maintenance in a high traffic environment
- 1+ years of API development with NodeJS
- Competitive salary and equity
- Unlimited PTO
- We pay your medical, dental, & vision insurance premiums
- Commuter benefits
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Apple equipment
- Fun, energetic work environment, and daily perks - snacks, drinks, catered lunch twice a week
- Opportunity to work with a product focused on making the world happier and healthier
And much more!