Software Engineer - API
Calm - 2017 Apple iPhone App of the Year!
Our mission is to make the world happier and healthier through the superpower of Calm. We are developing a range of digital and physical products that enhance mental fitness and alleviate some of the most important mental health issues of the modern age (anxiety, depression, insomnia and stress). Calm has reached over 30 Million users and is profitable (10x revenue growth in two years).
Mental Fitness is fast becoming the new Physical Fitness, and we believe a huge global brand will be built in this space. Our vision is to build Calm into one of the most valuable and meaningful brands of the 21st Century - “The Nike of the Mind.”
Calm was co-founded by Alex Tew (Million Dollar Homepage) and Michael Acton Smith (Mind Candy, Moshi Monsters, Firebox).
The API engineer will be a core member of our Product team creating features that will change the lives of millions. You will be crucial in each step of the product development process- from scoping to delivery. You will be the API expert at Calm, communicating concepts and constraints about the API to technical and non-technical team members.
What You'll Do
- Design, build, and maintain features that power Calm’s applications, products, and third-party integrations
- Take ownership of our API from planning and executing architectural improvements to fixing user-facing bugs that originate in our API
- Collaborate with all teams at Calm to ensure everyone has their needs supported by our API
- Work with our VP of Product and Data Scientist to implement A/B tests with our in-house A/B testing system
- Design and implement database schema changes for new features and optimizations
- Communicate constraints of API to non-technical staff as well as consequences of changes
Who You Are
- Enthusiastic problem solver with a great understanding of computer science and systems
- Fast learner experienced with API integrations and happy to dive into documentation to interact with a new system
- Great product sense and open minded while brainstorming with team members
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Empathetic to team members and enjoy helping other members on the team because you care
- Balances scrappiness and rigor to get a task done
- Experience solving the “hard” problems in API development such as backwards compatibility, cross-platform support, and security
- Comfortable with tools such as AWS, Linux, Git, Jenkins
- 3+ years of delivering high quality software
- 2+ years of API development and maintenance in a high traffic environment
- 1+ years of API development with NodeJS
Competitive salary and equity
We pay your medical, dental, & vision insurance premiums
Life insurance and disability benefits
Fun, energetic work environment, and daily perks - snacks, drinks, catered lunch twice a week
Opportunity to work with a product focused on making the world happier and healthier
And much more!