VP of People
We have a simple mission at Calm: To make the world a happier and healthier place.
The heart of Calm is digital but the brand is expanding offline into a variety of products and services that bring more peace, clarity and perspective into people’s busy lives. We are building Calm into the Nike of the Mind. We believe Calm can become one of the most valuable and meaningful brands in the world.
Over 50 Million people have downloaded the app and we are growing by 85,000 new downloads a day. The company is profitable and headquartered in San Francisco, CA.
Calm was co-founded by Alex Tew (Million Dollar Homepage) and Michael Acton Smith (Mind Candy, Moshi Monsters, Firebox).
The VP of People at Calm will be dedicated to driving business outcomes by cultivating a highly effective and engaged workforce in partnership with key business leaders. They will work closely with all teams and at all levels to improve talent development, performance, and feedback across the organization. They will empower Calm employees to be as effective and impactful as possible. The VP of People will wear many hats and work at both the strategic and tactical level. On any given day, they are designing new, scalable programs and frameworks, advising organizations on how to develop a culture of feedback, and iterating on how we can improve our efficacy as a team. The VP of People will be involved in all the key moments of an employee's life cycle which results in a wide breadth of responsibilities and opportunities. Ideal candidates will have an expansive and holistic view of the employee lifecycle from hire to exit. They’ll take a data-driven approach married with common sense to ensure every employee has an excellent experience.
- Develop deep relationships and build trust with key business owners.
- Serve as a strategic thought partner to business owners on people-related strategies and engagements.
- Autonomously lead the design, implementation, and iteration of new people programs as well as assess and improve current people programs.
- Engage on issues of organizational design, process, and workflows in order to help teams operate more effectively.
- Utilize people metrics to drive key insights and decisions around growth and retention.
- Coach and function as an advocate and resource to resolve key employee issues.
- Own and implement our benefits and compensation programs
- Own and implement our learning and development programs from onboarding to continuous education
- Own and implement performance management programs
- Own employee and employer compliance programs
- Be a trusted strategic partner and advisor to the management team
- Shepherd and grow our culture as we transition
- 10+ years of progressive HR or People Ops leadership experience
- Strong thought leadership and best practices in People Ops
- Demonstrated leadership, strong personal presence, demonstrates initiative, is results-oriented, and acts with a sense of urgency
- Proven capability as a leader, manager, and a great developer of talent.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced and dynamic environment with all levels of employees.
- Exceptional communication, partnering and conflict management skills.
- Solid organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Someone who can thrive in a startup environment.
- Competitive salary and equity
- Take what you need PTO
- We pay your medical, dental, & vision insurance premiums
- Commuter benefits
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Apple equipment
- Fun, energetic work environment, and daily perks - snacks, drinks, catered lunch twice a week
- Opportunity to work with a product focused on making the world happier and healthier
And much more!